Windows Vista Questions!

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Hello,

I am getting ready to build a new rig, the new 45nm Quad, 4G of RAM..etc. I will be running Vista as my primary OS, but b4 I make the transition I have a few questions that I hope you can help me answer.

1st. The main reason that people were getting Vista 64 bit, and correct me if I'm wrong is because of the ability to take full advantage of the 4G of ram, was there anything else? Now that SP1 is here, it can make your 32 bit Vista recognize all 4G of ram is that true? I have some old games that I like to play from time to time, and I know that 64 bit is not compatible with some of the old games/software. If I would to get the 32 bit, would I be missing out on something if I would have gotten the 64?

2nd. What Vista edition would be the best choice to get? Ultimate Looks like the best. The full edition is about $326 (Amazon.com) & the Upgrade one is $194 (Amazon.com). What did most of u people with Vista get? The upgrade or the Full edition? & which edition was it?

3rd. If I decide to go with Ultimate, the upgrade version, how exactly will it work? On the new rig, would I need to install the XP first and only then will I be able to upgrade to Vista? That's sound time consuming and stupid if u ask me…

All feedback is appreciated,

Thank you.

1.32 bit with sp1 will show 4gbs of ram (some one correct me if im wrong!) but i think it still doesn't use it,
and ive played a few older games on 64bit , and they all work perfectly ,ive never had one problem with 64.

2.best edition of vista is ultimate , but i could not see any major difference between ultimate and home premium and i didn't want to pay an extra AU$100 for something unnecessary.

3.your best of just buying an oem copy of home premium for like $120 when you buy the rest of the hardware

1. ?
2. Home Premium...........99% of users would not need or use anything more. Your wasting your money otherwise. If you have a valid copy of XP definitely get the upgrade version.
3. You can do a "clean install" with the upgrade version (all install discs are the same anyway)...........you will just need to insert an XP OS disc during the Vista installation to verfiy you have a copy. You do NOT need XP installed first.

I use business edition because my school got it for free so I ordered it through them for like 20 bucks. Works and runs fine. I wouldn't have payed for it otherwise unless I bought a new comp which I won't for a while. Otherwise I would buy home premium.

1. The reason people buy 64 bit is because of it's ability to address and recognize all of our 4GB. I think SP1 just makes 32 bit display it. The OS can still only use 3.25GB max.
2. I have HP 64 bit. If you want all the extras that Ultimate offers then get that but it's obviously going to cost you more. And get an OEM copy as you'll be purchasing it with hardware. OEM copys are a lot cheaper than retail versions.
3. If you go with the upgrade. You will have to already have a Windows OS on your PC, however, you will not need to back up your data as it will all be transferred to Vista if you do an upgrade. But I still recommend buying an OEM copy.

Back
Top Bottom