Windows Services

Toby1

Daemon Poster
Hi all,

All of a sudden I am not able to get onto the internet on the family computer (works fine on my laptop using the same phone line and modem). So I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the windows services on the family computer.

Could someone please give me a guide of what services must be on for windows to function correctly for everyday use (internet/applications). And which ones can be safely turned off.

Also, sine the internet doesn't work on the other computer, is it possible to just turn on the correct service and it will work again, or will I have to repair windows?

By the way, none of the computers have multi-user accounts or are connected to a network.

Thanks, Toby.

PS: I made another post, cause' I'm not sure if my other post worked. (Came up with an error, then said I'd made a duplicate post, but I still couldn't see it anywhere).

Make sure the phone line is plugged in tight on the back of the computer.

Your talking about dial-up right? Well... ummm... what error do you get? If you can't dial, you should contact your ISP or get another phone jack or something, if you get invalid username or password thats because you had a typo in your password when typing it in so you could connect.

I would be willing to bet that you are getting a 169 ip. Start>Run>cmd /k ipconfig copy paste the info it gives you into here.

Nah, actually I'm talking about ADSL, (should of said, sorry) but it's all good, I just did a system restore... (Don't know why I didn't think of that before) Thanks anyway guys.

Still wouldn't mind knowing what services I can safely turn off though.

yes, I figured you were on a high speed connection, however regardless you can get a 169 ip regardless of the connection type. a 169 ip is an "automatic private address" that windows assigns to your computer, if it either A. cannot find a dhcp server B. is jacked up lol or C. it is manually configured to something such as a 10. or 192.

Back
Top Bottom