WINDOWS or RAM error?

EricM

Daemon Poster
Well I am having a problem with my new build that i had before.... my computer will randomly restart and give me a blue error message and wont give me a chance to read it and just reloads into windows.... last time after the reboot when in windows, it would give me an error report or something along the lines of that such as device driver error or something to do with faulty ram... so i ran memtest on my memory and it turns out it was defective.. sooo i RMAed the memory and OCZ replaced it for me. So now I have the new memory in... and a new problem has arised. It has only happened twice now but it seems to happen whenever im using windows media player. the computer will freeze and restart... ill get the blue error screen once again like last time but i cant read it because it disappears. so this time in windows i do not get any error reports or anything. any ideas as to what could be the problem? is it another case of faulty RAM? or is it a windows error and should I just reinstall windows?

Have you ran any scans? Antivirus, antispy, etc? Try those. Defrag your hd, and look around for any suspcious programs. Windows media does have its issues... if you replaced the ram with brand new ram, it's probably not the ram, or, if you damaged it, the ram slot. If you rmaed the memory... yeha. Are your hd connections good? bad cable? Loose? if all else fails, and it keeps on happening, back up your important files... *sigh* and reinstall. I really hate to say that, though, because it's such a hassle. Try updating windows. see if there are any conflicts that you have with programs, hardware, etc. Save reinstalling for last...

if it only happens when your running windows media player, its probably windows media player. Try uninstalling the program and reinstalling the newest version of windows media player.

also run windows updates to see if their are any small updates it puts on your computer, i think it also installs any small updates for windows media player too. not really a big deal to reinstall the player, you wont lose any files or anything.

a simple reinstall of windows media player should do the trick, reformatting really should not be necessary, especially if its only happened once or twice. also, are you running more than one form of virus protection? if so list which ones, often they will conflict with each other.

mayorredbeard said:
if it only happens when your running windows media player, its probably windows media player. Try uninstalling the program and reinstalling the newest version of windows media player.

also run windows updates to see if their are any small updates it puts on your computer, i think it also installs any small updates for windows media player too. not really a big deal to reinstall the player, you wont lose any files or anything.

a simple reinstall of windows media player should do the trick, reformatting really should not be necessary, especially if its only happened once or twice. also, are you running more than one form of virus protection? if so list which ones, often they will conflict with each other.

I agree with mayorredbeard, but want to add one thing. If you just upgraded your version of Windows Media Player via Windows Update or if you installed WMP Beta 11, try rolling back to the previous version. There might be a discrepancy between the new version of WMP and your build of OS. Try patching your computer with all the latest critical updates and security updates. Try that, and if it doesn't fix it, we'll go from there.

Sorry for the long delay for my reply, but when i turned on my computer today i got this windows error ......

untitled.jpg

and then i went to get more info and it brought me to this page

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=28ec26a1-f876-4806-8666-b40731890244&SID=10

How much RAM do you have, Maybe one if your sticks have gone bad.

2GB but the RAM was just replaced with brand new RAM... maybe one of the slots is defective??

EricM said:
2GB but the RAM was just replaced with brand new RAM... maybe one of the slots is defective??

Possibly, Try taking out one RAM stick and try seeing if you get the blue screen again, If it happens, Try it with the other slot.

Back
Top Bottom