Windows Pro or XP?

Barrett

In Runtime
Hi everyone! This is my first post so I hope to get a good response. Look for more threads by me because I have lots of questions. My first question is if I am building a gaming computer, are there any benefits of having windows pro vs. windows xp? Thanks for any help

ummm...windows pro? do you mean windows XP and windows XP pro? If thats what you meant, then I would say no (if, like you said, this computer is for gaming). Truthfully I can't seem to find all that much different in home vs pro, especially anything for gaming...

Itsme

networking, encryption, webserver, domain support, mailserver, Terminal services (remote desktop - which is different from remote assistance)... Nothing that will improve your gaming experiance.

In addition to security and pro user features, another big difference between XP Home and XP Pro is the multi-kernal.

XP Pro is able to handle two physical processors, while home is limited to a single physical processor (two logical processors, i.e. Hyper-thread).

Here is a link to Microsoft's answer to this question for hyper-thread techology.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/CEC/HT-Windows.mspx

Here is a quick table from the document.

Windows - Max Physical CPU Limit - Max Logical CPU Limit
XP Home Edition - 1 - 2
XP Professional - 2 - 4
Server 2003, Standard - 4 - 8
Server 2003, Enterprise - 8 - 16
Server 2003, Datacenter - 32 - 32

my uncle who is a programmer showed me his computer, I cried almost. he spent 3.5K on it!
Specs Are:
Dual Xeon Processors 3Gigs a piece
X800 XT Platinum Edition
3 Gigs of RAM
6 HDDS = 1 TB of space

I was there as he was explaining to me about building mine, He gave me XP Pro for free! XP Pro is more for busniess and work like, word, xcel, powerpoint etc. If you plan to do a lot of work like HW or actual work on it I suggest getting Pro if you just want a OS that is stable and can do many different things, not mainly used for work then go with the Home edition

Cartman00
my uncle who is a programmer showed me his computer, I cried almost. he spent 3.5K on it!
Specs Are:
Dual Xeon Processors 3Gigs a piece
X800 XT Platinum Edition
3 Gigs of RAM
6 HDDS = 1 TB of space
lol....just kiddin
sounds like a super tight system.

oh, and welcome aboard Barrett,
i hope u enjoy it here at CF. happy posting...

Back
Top Bottom