Windows "Longhorn" Screenshots

Image25.jpg

Image26.jpg

Image27.jpg

Image28.jpg

Image32.jpg

This article is the result of having a lot of troubles in installing Longhorn on VM Ware. This article focuses on the Do's and Dont's when installing Longhorn on VM Ware. This article also gives a step by step installation procedure for doing the same.

Introduction

The not so recently released versions of longhorn have excited many developers. Although I am not one of the very early guys to dirty my hands with longhorn, I am sure I am not the last. In my quest to get to know more about longhorn I one of the first step was to get an installation of longhorn on my machine. I write this article as I have faced a considerable amount of trouble trying to get longhorn installed.

One of prime worry before I went ahead and installed longhorn was to have a separate machine where I could have longhorn and play with it. I did not want to install longhorn on the system that I use for my work as longhorn being a new OS in the beta stages would not be very reliable. I could not risk losing any data on my system. I am sure there are many who share my feelings on this.

So, the perfect solution that I could think of was to install longhorn on a Virtual machine. For people who are not familiar with a virtual machine, a virtual machine is a software which would emulate any operating system. In other words, I could install longhorn on my laptop and yet be ensured that none of my data or operating system would be affected by longhorn.

There are currently two virtual machine software (that I know of) a. VMWare (http://www.vmware.com) and b. Virtual PC from Microsoft. (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/). I have tried installing on these both products.

In my opinion vmware performs much better compared to the virtual PC. I find virtual pc as extremely slow and hence very irritating. But I had more problems getting it installed on VM ware. In hind sight I think it was worth the effort.

The configuration on my laptop is 1GB ram, 6o GB HDD, 3.2 GHz with hyper threading etc. I installed the WINHEC longhorn release (build 4074). I started with trying to install longhorn using VM ware workstation 4.0. I could successfully install the operating system but then I could not install the various drivers. After, trying for several times I came to know from the website that VM ware has released a new update for longhorn. With the knowledge of this I was sure my troubled path was coming to an end, only to realize that it has just began. Well, to cut the long story short I will summarize the steps I took to get a successful install.

nice info! ;)

The ISOs will be uploaded soon will PM the location upon request if its ok with the forum rules. ;)

now which build you want to try build 4015 "plex"
or 4074 "slate/aero/jade"

product keys will be included in .txt file on server.

Please use LH at your own risk!! thanks! I do not guarantee it will work on your system.

Hey, Dell can you PM me , when you get all the stuff in place? thanx, i hope to hear from you soon....

Back
Top Bottom