Windows folder size

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
The directory C:\Windows which holds, you know, windows stuff, on my computer seems rather big. And since I have a small hdd this is a big problem.

It seems this entire directory occupies 45 gigs of space. This seems like a lot. Like really a lot. How do I know what in it is useless and what isnt.

EDIT: I've narrowed it down to a variety of system32 folders; which are occupying 42 of the 45 gigs of the total windows folder. Wtf?

EDIT EDIT: I've narrowed it down to one file that is taking up all this room. Its C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\WMI\trace Which is a notepad file. I'm really tempted to delete this, but I'm not sure what it does. Gotta be a reason its 42 gigs.

I solved my own problem. No thanks to you guys. +Rep to myself. Apparently its due to MSBootvis utility which logs information to create faster boot times. While it worked, it surely is not worth the now 45 gigs worth of space it is occupying.

Whenever I clear up room it grows at a rate of 100-500 mb per minute. Jesus. What a poorly designed program MSBootvis is.

Back
Top Bottom