Windows doesn't fully boot...

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
I have a guy who always has computer problems and asks me to fix them. He gave me another problem to fix, and I don't know how to...

He has Windows 2000. It will boot all the way up to where you see the desktop and cursor. No taskbar or icons come up. I can Ctrl Alt Del and it will come up with the options for that, but still no taskbar or icons. Same with Safe Mode. I was thinking I can do a repair with the Windows 2000 disc, but I don't really know what I am doing here...

What can I do to fix this short of reinstalling Windows?

Have you run checks on the memory and hard drives using Memtest and utilities available from the drive manufacturer's site?

You could also run a chkdsk to scan for problems.

Haven't had time to look at it further than booting it up twice to have the same problem. It's at the guys house, so I can't do anything until tomorrow.

I'll try recovery. If that doesn't work, I'll bring the system home and see what I can do with it. I don't like people breathing down my neck while I'm working on their computer anyway...

Well, I got it working again. It was because several viruses got on his system. I did a repair install and got it booted, then scanned with AVG and got rid of the viruses. I return his system and he calls me back freaking out that his printer isn't printing now... The weird thing is that it found the printer and said it installed it when I hooked his system back up. Guess it didn't do it correctly to annoy me some more...

EDIT: oops, accidental double post...

Back
Top Bottom