Windows 7 in VM

thanks...i will give it a try tomorrow when widows 7 beta is released....i have 2 GB of ram, and i'm running vista, so i guess i'll give each os 1gb? it would be nice if they let you set the size of your virtual hard drive in GB's...that would be easier.

thanks...i will give it a try tomorrow when widows 7 beta is released....i have 2 GB of ram, and i'm running vista, so i guess i'll give each os 1gb? it would be nice if they let you set the size of your virtual hard drive in GB's...that would be easier.

I would probably give you host os more than just 1 GB since it has to run both your host system and the virtual system.

Running Windows 7 in VM will work well for most things, but you won't get the 'advanced' graphics and aero and stuff because as far as I know the graphics drivers available for virtual machines just isn't powerful enough for all those things, regardless of your computer's hardware...(correct me if i'm wrong), thats talking about Microsoft Virtual PC, I can't speak for VMWare as i've never used it..

Yeah obviously. If graphics, aero and stuff are what you're wanting to test and experience, ... then installing Windows 7 directly to hardware would be best.

Just to test functionality and application compatiblity ... VM would be a good way to test prior to deploying directly to hardware.

perhaps partitioning my hard drive, and installing the windows 7 beta on it's own partition would be better then? any good free partitioning software you would reccommend?

perhaps partitioning my hard drive, and installing the windows 7 beta on it's own partition would be better then? any good free partitioning software you would reccommend?

There are tons of Partitioning software out there, most of them not free or cheap. I use Acronis Disk Director personally. But saying this, if your on Vista, Vista provides tools to create partitions/delete partitions. Try reading through This article and it should help you through it all!

Good luck,

Matt

Edit: A list of partitioning software can be found on Wiki...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disk_partitioning_software

i used the built in partitioning tool in vista, and have a separate 50GB partition just sitting there empty (and formatted to NTFS) waiting for the release of the windows 7 beta to put on it....i think it will probably run better this way instead of doing it on a vm. thanks all.

VMWARE is NOT free,and virtualPC is VERY crappy. I can give you VMware if you want, its pretty simple to install too. All vm ware does is make a completely VIRTUAL computer inside your computer..such as a virtual cd drive. Inside vm ware you would create a "virtual" computer, after this you "power on" the computer and also make sure you have a virtual cd drive mounted with your Windows 7 ISO/Image file...then when your "powering on" your computer, just hit f2 of f12 just like you would in a real computer to get to the boot options..then you would select the virtual cd rom drive, it would boot up the windows 7 installation and youd install it on the "virtual" hard drive thats pre-built into vmware... and just go through the on screen instructions...formatting/etc etc. and vwala, you now have windows 7 on a virtual machine..

edit: windows 7 public beta wont be out for a while considering microsoft stated that w7 wont be released for another 3 years or so.
1. VMWare Player and VMWare Server are free.

2. Windows 7 Beta is out now, to MSDN subscribers.

Back
Top Bottom