Windows 7 in VM

thebigdintx

Daemon Poster
i've read somewhere that one can run windows 7 beta when it's released in a virtual machine enviornment? can some one explain how i would do this please? (and which free vm software to use). i want to try out the windows 7 beta when the public beta release comes out soon but i dont want to wipe out my vista os to do it.

There are two different types of virtual machine software that I have used.

Microsoft VirtualPC - This is the Microsoft one which I personally don't like. I don't think it works that well, and it is a lot more restrictive.

VMware
- This is the one I use. It is a lot more stable and seems to be more versatile. But may be a little harder for a person who doesn't know much about computers.

Both of these are FREE, so you can test them both out and see which one you like best. But the best thing about doing Virtual Machines, is that if the Virtual installation gets corrupted or infected with a virus or something it doesn't affect your main computer at all.

VMWARE is NOT free,and virtualPC is VERY crappy. I can give you VMware if you want, its pretty simple to install too. All vm ware does is make a completely VIRTUAL computer inside your computer..such as a virtual cd drive. Inside vm ware you would create a "virtual" computer, after this you "power on" the computer and also make sure you have a virtual cd drive mounted with your Windows 7 ISO/Image file...then when your "powering on" your computer, just hit f2 of f12 just like you would in a real computer to get to the boot options..then you would select the virtual cd rom drive, it would boot up the windows 7 installation and youd install it on the "virtual" hard drive thats pre-built into vmware... and just go through the on screen instructions...formatting/etc etc. and vwala, you now have windows 7 on a virtual machine..

I got the windows 7 beta a couple of weeks ago and ran it on a VM. Its slow (i do not know if this is because i havent installed drivers, didnt need any for my XP VM) or its just because the VM from microsoft isnt powerful enough.

Windows 7 looks\feels\acts the same as Vista

I haven't had to pay to download vmware server from vmware's site. I would think that'd be considered FREE. VMWare workstation and other products come at a cost, but VMWare Server is free. You just register with an email address and they send you serial keys ... dependant on how many VMServers you plan to run. Be forewarned though ... the newest VMWare Server II is a huge installation exe now ... over 550mb. They've added lots more functionality and whatnot, but at what cost? Lots of other unnecessary stuff. Not sure, but did VMWare get bought out by MS or something?

Virtual Box is another virtualization software product by Sun. USB is supported which is nice (VMWare Server does as well).
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Virtual PC isn't crappy, just basic. For someone who is asking how to work with VM's ... Virtual PC is probably the best choice to begin with, not an intense installation process like some of the other choices. Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 is decent, but doesn't support x64 guest OS or USB (neither does Virtual PC).

VMWARE is NOT free

edit: windows 7 public beta wont be out for a while considering microsoft stated that w7 wont be released for another 3 years or so.

It is free. That is how I obtained it, and everyone I know who runs it obtained it. So if you paid for it then you obviously got something different.

It even says free download on their page Here.

And as for the Windows 7 public beta it should be available tomorrow, NOT 3 years from now. Don't believe me, look Here.

I got the windows 7 beta a couple of weeks ago and ran it on a VM. Its slow (i do not know if this is because i havent installed drivers, didnt need any for my XP VM) or its just because the VM from microsoft isnt powerful enough.

Windows 7 looks\feels\acts the same as Vista

My VM Windows 7 runs just fine. Im confused by what you mean "the VM from microsoft isnt powerful enough" ... are you saying you downloaded a Virtual Machine Windows 7 or did you create a Windows 7 VM from scratch? I'm running an Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T5550 (1.83ghz) with 4 gb memory. Windows 7 is running with 1gb of memory. Runs fine for me.

edit: windows 7 public beta wont be out for a while considering microsoft stated that w7 wont be released for another 3 years or so.

The Public BETA comes out tomorrow (Jan 9th), and the full Windows 7 is *expected* by the end of the year/early 2010. The BETA for MSDN developers etc already have access to the download.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10136418-75.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0

Matt

EDIT:
My VM Windows 7 runs just fine. Im confused by what you mean "the VM from microsoft isnt powerful enough" ... are you saying you downloaded a Virtual Machine Windows 7 or did you create a Windows 7 VM from scratch? I'm running an Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T5550 (1.83ghz) with 4 gb memory. Windows 7 is running with 1gb of memory. Runs fine for me.

Running Windows 7 in VM will work well for most things, but you won't get the 'advanced' graphics and aero and stuff because as far as I know the graphics drivers available for virtual machines just isn't powerful enough for all those things, regardless of your computer's hardware...(correct me if i'm wrong), thats talking about Microsoft Virtual PC, I can't speak for VMWare as i've never used it..

ok,,,thanks for the input so far. i think i'll probably try microsoft's virtualpc if it's simpler to use. so, i just download that and the windows 7 beta iso image,,,,,any other software necessary, or is that all i need?

also, can someone give me a step by step once i have virtualpc and the windows 7 beta iso. (spec, thanks for your instructions, but you lost me a little as to my actual steps).

That is all you will need, other than maybe your drivers for your system.

From wikiHow

1. Download Microsoft Virtual PC off Microsoft's website.
2. Install the program. Note: You must be running Windows XP or higher. However, the program still may possibly run on older systems.
3. Once you start the program, it should ask you to make a virtual machine. If not, click the "New..." button.
4. Click the Create A Virtual Machine Button and click next.
5. Type a name for the machine (like, for example, the operating system you are going to install). Click next.
6. Select the operating system you are going to install. (This sets up the the recommended specs for your virtual machine) If the operating system you are going to install is not there, click "Other".
7. Depending on the operating system you are using, you may want to adjust the amount of RAM it will use. Remember: Don't choose more RAM than your real computer has. The main operating system is still running too. For example, if you have 1 GB (1024 MB) of real RAM, you may want the virtual RAM to be 256 MB. And also, some older operating systems don't support RAM over 512 MB. So it's just a waste to have more than what that operating system supports.
8. Click "A New Virtual Hard Disk" and click next. Now you get to choose where to put the Virtual Hard Disk. Usually the default is fine. Also set the size of your hard drive in megabytes (1024 Megabytes = 1 Gigabyte).
9. Finish the wizard. You should see something new in the Virtual PC Console box. It should have your virtual PC.
10. Click on it and click "Start". You should see a bunch of lines of text, similar to the lines you see when you first start your computer.
11. Insert the install disk for your operating system.
12. Follow the directions on the install disk for your operating system. (If you get bored while it's installing, and you can't move the mouse out of the windows, hold the right Alt key and drag it out of the operating system's box. The install will keep proceeding as normal.)
13. If done properly, the install should go smoothly. If it asks you to restart the computer, hold the right Alt key and press R. When the virtual system asks to restart, just restart the virtual system, not the real computer. The system should boot just as you were using it as a real computer.
14. Congratulations. You set up your first virtual system. What you do next is completely up to you.

Back
Top Bottom