Windows 7 renamed my new 2TB HDD by it's self?

stevethebrain

In Runtime
Windows 7 renamed my new 2TB HDD by it's self?

I use windows7 media center as a DVR to watch,record my TV shows.w/ this rename the MC is confused (MC storage is Z and dosen't change to new name) where to store the programs and then PC never sleeps.

Initial HDD install: I went to disc. Management and named the HDD new volume (Z)worked fine until two weeks later it changed itself to new volume (E) why?

unable to diagnose this drive When I attempted message was HDD in use if you continue all data will be invalid. thought invalid is like erase or reformat so I stop.
Right click on HDD
Properties
Scan disc. For errors

Thanks for advising

So the drive letter changed from Z to E and the files are not accessible?

Possible malware attack? Scan the system with a reliable anti-virus. Also confirm the actual drives again in Disk Management.

So the drive letter changed from Z to E yes and the files are not accessible? no still accessible however since w7mc still thinks it's storage is Z so the intire sys. is confused

Possible malware attack? Scan the system with a reliable anti-virus. Also confirm the actual drives again in Disk Management.
I only connect to net. to download the latest TV guide listings then disconnect from net.
after I always delete browser history,objects and files.

yes confirmed the actual drives again in Disk Management as Z thats after I renamed.

another observation after a few days of use the w7mc sys. posted a message HHD is full when 83% was free a restart resolved that issue.

don't thinks it's virus related I'm leary of my new western digital black RE4 which is there best consumers HDD.

I say leary because even though this is a new drive it's actually manufactured 11 years ago. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16822136579?Item=9SIA5AD3WD9839

these are excellent drives I have 2 1TB re3 that where refurbed used as enterprise drives for 5 years then refurbed. same place new egg.

I'd like to diagnose this drive but
When I attempted message was HDD in use if you continue all data will be invalid. thought invalid is like erase or reformat so I stop.
thanks

Last edited:
Hmm... try diagnosing the drive in minimum safe mode using F8 right after booting or in the restart+shift which also has a Windows Repair feature, I believe. Those should have the least usage of all system resources. Not sure if the latter has different problem detection mechanism. Just be careful not to format the system.

That's a possible option to allow you to diagnose the system. I think I reached a dead-end about what the problem really is. Best of luck!

I have to say that to me it does sound like a virus or malware infection. My immediate action would be to remove that drive and try to access it via a caddy and USB on a different computer and see where it goes from there.

There's a virus that hides all files and make a copy of their names only with weird contents. Forgot what it was called. The case here gave me its vibes.

This might a conflict within the system. The MC wants to designate the drive as Z: while Windows wants it to be E:

Can the MC rename the drive to E:?

I believe MC can rename and has if I remember correctly and at one time MCs storage was named E.
I fill a drive then expand HDD drives I need to keep better notes on this stuff, I intend to then just don't.

I went back to disk management HDD was still Z I think I rename it the same Z

then went to MCs storage it was also Z so I just saved seams to be working smoothly, dam I just jinked myself.

I was thinking it had something to do w/ disconnecting the DVD that's never used for it's SATA port.
Thanks when I find out I'll post up.

Is that drive partitioned? You might want to add this program to your PC, Minitool Partition Wizard. It is a very handy tool that also include assigning/naming the drives.

no not partitioned this drive was working correctly also note the drives C/D and at one time there was a E.

window7 MC difficulty w/ new HDD it thinks it's full when it isn't full

here's a few screen shots the drive in ? is the new volumn Z

maybe I did something wrong when installing the drive Z maybe you experts can see something from the SS.

additionally under properies/general I've observed the whole drive blue which is full
under tools disk can't be checked.

media center and the sys could be confused a MC restart resolvees this however last night it recorded5 shows only 2 are watchable

I was able to check disk options now able to check scan for an tempt recover bad sectors very slow process will report back.
thanks for advice

Attachments

• Z drive.jpg
    Z drive.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Z drive2.jpg
    Z drive2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 2
  • Z drive3.jpg
    Z drive3.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Z drive4.jpg