Windows 10 Kills PC On Restart

Xinam

In Runtime
It's the mother-in-laws machine (Windows 7 era HP All In One) that I always seem to be admin for. The latest feature update for Windows 10 that rolled out in July I think, it finally installed a couple of weeks ago. All seemed ok. Until you go to restart the machine then it halts on start up and gives Hyper Transport sync flood error. A little googling revealed a very small number of people having the same issue, affecting AMD XII processors. Tried Windows recovery options but no joy.

Only solution was a full reinstall and all seems fine. Which is strange because the build number is the same as the one that kept failing. Bad update? User configuration? Who knows.

I just hope that the next feature update due in October doesn't repeat the problem, because boy is it time consuming working on older hardware.

I wouldn't be that surprised. Windows updates are unpredictable like that. I have experienced the same thing a few times (when reinstalling the same version fixes everything). I guess that's one of the reasons why everyone hates them.

I've never had a mother-in-law, so that leaves Windows updates.

I've recently read some articles about businesses complaining about the amount of updates Windows makes you install. I agree, considering they roll out full version upgrades every 6 months or so. They take forever to install and they are almost exclusively GUI updates and extra bloat.

UPDATE:

She's just phoned to say it's done it again. And today is Update Tuesday, she says she installed updates and restarted it, but then it comes up with the same error again. Any ideas anyone? Could this be indicative of a failing HDD?

Is there a reason why she uses Windows 10 (or Windows at all)? It's buggy and slow and offers no improvement over older versions.

I don't think there is a reliable way to tell if the HDD is going to fail, other than backing up and waiting for it to happen. Failures are mostly sudden. Take a look at this though, it may help.

No particular reason I guess. Other than ease of use, and up until now, reasonable reliability. It's got to be a Windows issue though, just don't understand why it fails to boot after software updates?

When else would it fail? When no changes have been made? As I said in my first reply, it happens to me all the time. Windows 10 updates break everything.

I think you should roll it back to W7 or just install some easy to use Linux distribution. One can hardly tell the difference between Xfce and the Windows desktop.

Did you completely wipe the drive (Dban, etc.), not just reformat it, before you reinstalled windows?

Back
Top Bottom