Window XP question

Wimbish2003

Beta member
I'm not much on computers, but I have two. I have a Dell and a Gateway. I've been wanting to format the hard drive on my Dell and reinstall windows. Well the windows xp cd has a huge crack in it. So I was going to use the cd for the gateway, but it says for gateway computers only. Can I use it on the Dell anyway?

it'll be iffy.... some times you can but other times you can't.

unfortunatly i don't know of any way of finding out without trial and error...

you might be better off contatcing asia (dell) to see if you can get a new copy of the cd.

I personally wouldnt take the risk, geet in touch with dell (as mentioned above) or buy yourself a new xp disc

You probably can use it but ya more likely to encounter problems as it isnt designed for that system

Gateway's discs only work with the chipsets on gateways, in a past experince in college.. (don't want to talk about that - very bad day!)

If you still have the CD key for the DELL (CD-Key should be stuck on the side), looks like this...

latitudecpxcoa600.jpg

If you still have the CD key, you can use any disc, just not any other key, you must use your key.

Dont know if ya know this, so might aswell mention it aswell. But different versions of the OS have different keys aswell eg an SP1 key will not work on a SP2 disc

Back
Top Bottom