Winchester and Venice

Bahawolf1

Fully Optimized
I'd also like to know what the actual difference is..

I heard Venice is better for OC'ing.. but runs at a higher temperature.

If I don't actually plan on OC'ing.. what should I get?

yeah having the same issue here, which is best? what do they do better? and is there any real differnce between either of them :S!
looking to spend around $1700 on my machine

regards

Venice is just an improved version of the Winchester core that uses the same 90nm process when making the chip.

So yeah, it does give chances to high overclocking, and actually, it should run about the same, if not a bit cooler than Winchester cores since its using the same 90nm technology rather than 110nm used in the Claw Hammer cores, the one before Winchester :)

This are some other things that have been improved and added:

While the manufacturing process remains the same as the Winchester's there are several internal differences between the two cores, and the changes are noted here -

* SSE3 multimedia instruction sets
* Additions and enhancements to the Integrated Memory controller
* Mismatched DIMM support (ability to configure and use different size DIMMs on the same channel)
* Improved memory mapping (more efficient use of memory space)
* Improved memory loading (fully populating the memory with double-bank DIMMs no longer requires the memory controller to run @ DDR333)

From here:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/venice3800/

Hope this helps

Hey Kage, the Clawhammer cores were in 130nm, not 110nm. Just so you know. :) The Winchester and the Venice are the only cores in the Athlon 64 series (I'm not sure about the Opteron series) that are made using the 90nm process.

Yeah Kage pretty much summed it up for ya. The Venice is just an improved version of the Winchester which is a much better version of the Clawhammer. So go for the Venice.

Ah right kewl, 130nm process...I thought that rung a bell :p Thanks Alvino.

As for the processor, get a Venice like Winterfreshpwnz says :)

Back
Top Bottom