Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
In Runtime

Question win7 64bit ????'s

so i'm getting a new rig and will be making the switch from winXP PRO SP3 32-bit to win7 64-bit (want the increased RAM capacity and have a few questions...

i hear a lot of win7 32bit but nothing of the 64bit version, any reports?

how goes the drivers list for win7 64-bit, will most games / programs work right away or will it be a total cock up VISTA-style?

is there a way to take my winXP programs / games and simply transfer them to a win7 install? (i think i hear you calling me stupid which is why i think the answer is a LOUD NO, but want to ask to be 100% sure

will games and such be compatible? games like quake III that i love and newer games like COD4 / 5, far cry 2 etc?

do MOST programs work with 64 bit any OS? and is a specific version of the program required, ie, you need to buy a seperate 32bit or 64bit program depending on what OS your using....or is it all on the same install?

sorry but i haven't changed OS in 7 years (i think) which is like 70 computer years and just want to be sure my stuff will work plus, this 64bit OS thing is a new thing to me as well.

thanks in advance!!!

liquidmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: win7 64bit ????'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmonkey View Post
so i'm getting a new rig and will be making the switch from winXP PRO SP3 32-bit to win7 64-bit (want the increased RAM capacity and have a few questions...

how goes the drivers list for win7 64-bit, will most games / programs work right away or will it be a total cock up VISTA-style?

is there a way to take my winXP programs / games and simply transfer them to a win7 install? (i think i hear you calling me stupid which is why i think the answer is a LOUD NO, but want to ask to be 100% sure

will games and such be compatible? games like quake III that i love and newer games like COD4 / 5, far cry 2 etc?

do MOST programs work with 64 bit any OS? and is a specific version of the program required, ie, you need to buy a seperate 32bit or 64bit program depending on what OS your using....or is it all on the same install?

sorry but i haven't changed OS in 7 years (i think) which is like 70 computer years and just want to be sure my stuff will work plus, this 64bit OS thing is a new thing to me as well.

thanks in advance!!!
I run 64bit win7 and every program works for me (even some that didn't work in Vista), and I run a lot of programs...

MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
Solid State Member

Send a message via AIM to A Cheese Danish

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmonkey View Post

thanks in advance!!!
64-bit works fine. I was using it for a while before they released 7077. Now I'm waiting for the May 5th RC release.
Drivers for 7 x64 are similar to Vista drivers. So there are virtually every driver out for 64-bit OS's.
When they release 7, you will have the opportunity to upgrade from XP to 7 without loosing data. However, I'd do backups of your documents just in case.
All games will play on 7. The only thing to watch for are 64-bit downloads.

FYI, there aren't as many issues with compatibility, if any, as there were about 2 years ago.
A Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Personally, I didn't like Windows 7 as much as Vista accept for it uses less resources. I find it harder to use than Vista. And I don't like the layout as much as Vista. But I found there we some programs that were not compatible with it. I can't remember what they were though.
XPEX Vortex 3620 Mid Tower, Rosewill 450 Watt PSU, MSI P6N SLI Platinum 650i, Intel Celeron D 356, 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800, Western Digital 40GB, (2) EVGA 7950GT 256MB Video Cards in SLI, HP DVD Multi-Burner, Windows XP.
63083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:41 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63083 View Post
Personally, I didn't like Windows 7 as much as Vista accept for it uses less resources. I find it harder to use than Vista. And I don't like the layout as much as Vista. But I found there we some programs that were not compatible with it. I can't remember what they were though.
I never got winAVI to work in Vista...
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:29 AM   #6
In Runtime

thanks for the reassurance everyone, and its typical that this article JUST came out, haha!

http://www.rlslog.net/microsoft-wind...0-x86-dvd-ind/

one final ??? - will 32bit programs / games etc run on a 64bit system? i think its yes but not 100% sure.

thanks again!!!
liquidmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:32 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

Yup, they will run fine.

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote