Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-24-2007, 05:02 AM   #1
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to aff1993
Question Will this work?? Network help.

Hi,
Im creating a home network so i can use Habbo hotel ( lol ) on my laptop and Wii Internet on my nintendo wii, currently the only computer in my house with internet is my PC with a wired broadband connection, i want to know if this will work (P.S, i have attached a picture for help):

-Host computer set up with USB Wi-Fi Dongle
-Laptop witha pcmcia (Laptop PC Card) Wi-Fi Card
Will the PC send out internet so my Laptop can recieve it?
And will the Nintendo Wii Get the Wi-Fi Internet?? (mainly i want the laptop to get the internet)

Heres the picture

Please help, thanks, aff1993

|--- I have a PC with 2.2ghz Celeron D, 1024MB RAM, Windows Vista Home Premium, 32MB Graphics card, 200GB HDD, 24x DVD Burner ---|
aff1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:09 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to Steff
Default Re: Will this work?? Network help.

I dont see why not!

Also I use to play Habbo Hotel, rofl, which hotel?

Steff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:12 AM   #3
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to GlasseyeUK

No I think it would need a router in between the modem and the main computer.

If it did work then the main computer would need to be on all the time for the Wii and the laptop to access the internet

Time tells all, but if the moment in time passes and you miss it, then you will remember it for ever!!
GlasseyeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:17 AM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Yep i agree, theres no router to direct the traffic between the different computers. Easiest solution is to buy an ADSL wireless router, and replace your modem with that
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to Andrew2020

Yes That will work fine.(You do-not need a router) With a broudband modem all you have to do is connect the cat6 cable right from your modem to your desktop.(If you are using ADSL you will have to configure your MAC address to your isp.) If your USB WI-FI adapter works with AD-HOC all you will have to do is bridge the wired and wireless connection on the Desktop PC. Then you should be able to just scan for the network and pick it up with your laptop. (Im not sure if you can use ad-hoc with your WII) But you can always bridge you pcmcia card from your laptop to your wired connection and just hook it right into your WII if there is a NIC port on your WII.
Audio Adapter: Analog Devices AD1986A @ ULi/ALi M5461 High Definition Audio Controller
Disk Drives:ST330062 2AS SCSI Disk Device (320 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II) x4 (1280GB)
Network Adapter: Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Andrew2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:03 AM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

I understand about the AD-HOC mode, but im not certain if you can share an internet connection with AD-HOC. I think he is gonna run into problems
Old 01-24-2007, 07:09 AM   #7
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to aff1993
Question Re: Will this work?? Network help.

I lost you when you said ad-hoc, is there any easier way to explain, i want the pc to be the Wireless Acess point, is there anone who can create a detailed but EASY pdf or word document for me on how to, is it plug and play stuff?? Thx for ur help

PS: Im using a USB Cable running from my Modem to my PC coz i dont have an RJ45 Slot, LoL, and my modem is a siemens speed-stream 4500.

AND TO ALL WHO THINK I NEED ROUTER: there is gonna be only a laptop using the wi-fi, coz were prob never gonna use the Wii WiFi unless getting a Virtual Console game, whichll be like once every 6 months lol.

|--- I have a PC with 2.2ghz Celeron D, 1024MB RAM, Windows Vista Home Premium, 32MB Graphics card, 200GB HDD, 24x DVD Burner ---|
aff1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:19 AM   #8
Golden Master

Just done a check and it is possible, take a look here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
Old 01-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #9
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to Andrew2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by aff1993
I lost you when you said ad-hoc, is there any easier way to explain, i want the pc to be the Wireless Acess point, is there anone who can create a detailed but EASY pdf or word document for me on how to, is it plug and play stuff?? Thx for ur help

PS: Im using a USB Cable running from my Modem to my PC coz i dont have an RJ45 Slot, LoL, and my modem is a siemens speed-stream 4500.

AND TO ALL WHO THINK I NEED ROUTER: there is gonna be only a laptop using the wi-fi, coz were prob never gonna use the Wii WiFi unless getting a Virtual Console game, whichll be like once every 6 months lol.
First off you have a weird modem, having to use usb connectivity and all. But this is not very difficult.
1.Start>Control Panel>Internet and Network Connections>Network Connections.
Once you are in make sure that both your modem and your Wi-Fi Adapter show up as network connections. You can Highlight them both Right Click and hit Bridge Connections.
After you have done that and there is a icon that looks like a bridge and is labeled Network Bridge.
2.Right Click on the Wireless Network Connection>Properties>(tab)Wireless Networks>Add...
3.Under SSID Type the network name you want I suggest "leetzgamezor"
(I suggest that you dont put any network keys untill you get this working)
4.Then at the bottom of that box check off "This is a computer-to-computer (ad-hoc)network.
5.Then you will need to go to your laptop and right click on the Wireless network icon and do the same thing.
6. Scan connect.
Audio Adapter: Analog Devices AD1986A @ ULi/ALi M5461 High Definition Audio Controller
Disk Drives:ST330062 2AS SCSI Disk Device (320 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II) x4 (1280GB)
Network Adapter: Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Andrew2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:36 AM   #10
Baseband Member

Sure the Ad-Hoc mode will work, but why give up all the benifits of a router i.e. hardware firewall, dhcp, port forwarding, etc.. The cost of a wireless router is just a little more than a dongle.

costaj is offline   Reply With Quote