will re installing xp pro delete all my files eg music?

Sh0x

Beta member

how can I restore my settings for xp without deleting my files :(

If you have an xp oem or purchased disk it will not delete any files-If you have a compaq,dell or gateway restore disk it will reformat your drive and youll lose everything. your settings generally will stay intact

but when i select the install file and im in setup, aftyer pc starts back up it says my files may be lost..?

Sh0x said:

how can I restore my settings for xp without deleting my files :(
Get a second HD Copy it there and use it for this stuff.
Then do a complete install if you really think you have to.
Thats what i did,5000 + mp3's on my D drive.
:confused:

I just reinstalled last week. Do you have the OEM XP disk??? if so when you're installing it there should be a window that tells you:

Files will be written into the C:/Windows folder, your files may be lost

When that comes up just hit ok. I didn't lose any files although I did lose some programs but I just re-installed them so it wasn't a big deal.

Yeah, it'll only change C:/Windows and C:/Documents and Settings because those are the only Windows based Folders. Programs will all be uninstalled of course but its easy enough to reinstall them. With an OEM the files will all stay safe if they're not in the above Folders.

just dont format ur drive install the xp pro in top of the partition so when its done just go into search and type in the name of ur song and it will find it, it works for mine.

Back
Top Bottom