Will the new macbook 2015 get slow quickly?

DanBayley

Beta member
I don't know much about the macbook processor: 1.1GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.4GHz) with 4MB shared L3 cache.
However, I was hoping to buy the macbook the day it comes out (10th April)

Many people are saying the processor is good enough out the box. But, laptops tend to slow down and after a year or two, will the laptop get pretty slow??

I am currently choosing between the macbook and retina macbook pro and would like it to last 3-4 years.

I will probably use it mostly for web surfing (maybe like 20 tabs open...), music, watching HD videos and microsoft office (some pretty heavy excel work). Nothing too heavy like gaming, but I want it to consistently be perky.

Thanks for your help and advice!!

PS: just for reference I currently have an ASUS with Windows 8 i5 6gb ram (1.8 GHz). It is fairly cheap.

Hey there! - Welcome to ComputerForums!

I'm writing this response on a Macbook Pro (the late 2013 model). From my own experience, I've never had a problem with any of my Apple computers. I've worked with an array of Apple computers, and I've always had a pleasurable experience for general usage or production.

As for gaming, Apple computers are not the *ideal* solution for most. Their solutions are already fairly pricey, and get pricier as you begin to customize them heavily. If you prefer to game on an Apple device, and you have the money to do so, these computers can certainly be customized to be powerful gaming machines.

As for "getting slow", it's not going to happen very quickly. You'll probably get a good 3-5 years out of the laptop, if not more. If you abuse the machine, or misuse the machine, this timeframe could change dramatically. However, I generally use machines for 3-5 years before I swap them out. By that time, technology has progressed in leaps and bounds, and though the system still works, I prefer to have the latest and greatest.

I've never owned a Mac (just the iPhone and iPad) but from a customer support point of view I've certainly always been impressed by Apple. They recently replaced my iPhone 5 for free, even out of warranty, for an issue that was apparently a known fault with them.

Looking at the laptops for sale, the MacBook Pro is definitely the more powerful machine, but from most of them I would guess you're looking around 3 years life (if not more). The main clincher will be when Apple stops allowing you to upgrade to a later OSX (but if you're happy working on an older one then it's probably fine!)

They'll all be pretty quick with solid state drives anyway, but from a processing power perspective the Macbook Pro should be way ahead!

Looking at the laptops for sale, the MacBook Pro is definitely the more powerful machine, but from most of them I would guess you're looking around 3 years life (if not more). The main clincher will be when Apple stops allowing you to upgrade to a later OSX (but if you're happy working on an older one then it's probably fine!)

If I am correct Apple usually gives the iPhone and iPad 3 major iOS updates before it stops but the iPad 2 has received 4 updates so I think it may be the same for the iMac's and Macbooks.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Computer Forums mobile app

Keep the reg cleared out and do the same for the browser. Keep junk files cleared out also. Laptops like desktops slow down when the junk starts to accumulate.

Back
Top Bottom