Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Will a new cpu & board make a new computer ?

I recently had an idea for an upgrade. It all kind of depends on how easy it is to replace board and cpu in an oldish computer. I would really like to know if you guys think it would work.
If I removed the cpu and board from a Dell Inspiron 530 and replaced them with a AMD Phenom II X6 1100T cpu and a Gigabyte GA -770T-D3L board ( for example ) saving money on case and DVD drives and hard disks etc would it work? I mean none of those are intel specific or anything and boards have common interfaces
As far as I can see there is no reason why a board and processor can't be backward compatible to that extent and AMD parts are so cheap around here ( about 10% of intel prices - I could put the latest and greatest on my desk for about 200GBP ) I gotta check this idea out. I might even get a decent Windows Experience rating for disk seek times on a 250GB hard disk.
Hardware gurus Please lend me the benefit of your opinion

Farstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Will a new cpu & board make a new computer ?

Yes, that can be done but one possible issue could be that the Dell case won't accommodate a non-Dell motherboard.

strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Solid State Member

Default Re: Will a new cpu & board make a new computer ?

Good point. I'm gonna have to measure everything first. Maybe technology will be on my side as electronic things get smaller while capacities get bigger worst case I might get away with a couple brackets if I substitute mesh for the side panels which I might have to anyway to get working temperatures down. Daytime temps around here can top 40 C. As a Dell it was fine with those temps but I reckon AMD's latest runs hotter
Farstanley is offline   Reply With Quote