Is will my CPU keep me from enjoying a new graphics card?

calintz333

Beta member
Hello guys my CPU is a AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core processor 6000+ 2.02GhZ

I bought this computer at mid 2008.

My current graphics card is a Nvidia 9600 GT 1GB.

I was planning to upgrade power supply to a 650w from my current 500w and also upgrade graphics card today to a GeForce GTX 460 FPB 1gb card.

I only have about $220 bucks to spend on upgrades for my computer and the power supply and card I am planning to get basically exhaust that budget.

I also have 4 GB of DDR2 ram.

I am trying to play some games such as (Aion, Star wars the old republic) on max settings but I can't seem to run the game at max without getting some lag and a FPS of about 12-15 on both games.

I was wondering if making the graphic card upgrade would allow me to run these games comfortably or would my CPU end up screwing me anyways?

I really don't have the means to buy an entire new computer system so I am trying to upgrade this one to make games (at least mmorpg games) run smooth on the high settings.

Please let me know what you think. I would appreciate quick replies because the sale on the Graphics card I want to get will end tonight at 11:59pm.

Thank you.

My honest opinion is that your CPU is going to keep getting you. I had that same graphics card, and while it isn't the absolute best on the market, it still ran most of my games like that on high settings with no issue. The difference is that I had an Intel quad core processor running at default speed (2.5GHz).

For the record, that 6000+ chip is actually a 3.0 GHz CPU. Myself and three of my friends all owned that same chip at the same time. Great CPU.

You've got a good pairing going on with the video card, it should be considerably faster than the video card you have now.

Yes the CPU is a little old now, but the clock speed is high enough that it'll offset any major problems for at least 6-12 months from now.

Back
Top Bottom