Will I notice a difference between 802.11G and B?

i want a laptop

In Runtime
This is for my 360 on Xbox Live, it isn't for on a computer. Keep that in mind.

So I am on this crap Logitech Play Link. It is shit. So slow. I don't download demos much, but I do. I mostly online game. Nothing special.

I know G is much faster than B. Being about 25MBps, and B being 4.5MBps.

Now in online gaming, will I notice a difference? I am trying to decide between 2 wireless access points/bridges from ebay.

I have like 15MBps download speed internet service, but I have never downloaded anything over 1MBps. Even on the fastest downloads I might get 500k. I know the faster my download, the faster someone is uploading, so what is like the max speed you can get off of xbox live? Also I got like 2 MBps upload speed service...so IDK.

Should I go with the slower 802.11B? Or spend a couple bucks more for the G? Is it worth it for a 360?

PS, the prices are for the B 18 shipped, and for the G 25 shipped. Don't base your answer on price though.

its faster
so yeah
i have mine on g
and if i was to downgrade
it would stop all together
but thats just me

I don't download demos much, but I do.

what?

I know G is much faster than B. Being about 25MBps, and B being 4.5MBps.

Now in online gaming, will I notice a difference? I am trying to decide between 2 wireless access points/bridges from ebay.

I have like 15MBps download speed internet service, but I have never downloaded anything over 1MBps. Even on the fastest downloads I might get 500k. I know the faster my download, the faster someone is uploading, so what is like the max speed you can get off of xbox live? Also I got like 2 MBps upload speed service...so IDK.

Should I go with the slower 802.11B? Or spend a couple bucks more for the G? Is it worth it for a 360?

PS, the prices are for the B 18 shipped, and for the G 25 shipped. Don't base your answer on price though

i never noticed a difference on laptops/desktops, they are all the same, as long as the speed dont go over the wireless speed the wireless adapter goes.
I wouldnt personally put a wireless thing for the 360, i prefer to connect through ethernet. Its more reliable

I'd say it's worth it, yes. Wireless B is older technology, and G isnt MUCH more expensive :)

okay, so you have 15 MegaBITs per second web access, or 15 MegaBYTEs per second? There is a difference, one byte= 8 bits. MB is Mega BYTE, while Mb is MegaBIT.

wireless g is 6.75 MegaBYTEs(54 MegaBITs) per second. wireless b is 1.3 MegaBYTEs(11 MegaBITs) per second. Either way (see first paragraph) you WILL see a slight increase in speed.

and most routers now are b/g compatible.

What about wireless N.
Its very wicked

The 360 wireless adapter doesn't support N. So in essence he wouldn't need it, but I picked up my d-link wireless N router for $60 USD. I don't have anything that uses N yet, but I figured if I was buying a router I might as well spend the $10 extra and get the wireless N capability.

OP - How good is your online game play with wireless B?? This is where you will notice the biggest difference. I would highly recommend getting the wireless G if you like online multiplayer. There will be a lot less lag in your gameplay (and that of others you are playing with).

Well I am on my Logitech Play Link right now. And it is max speed 1.5Mbps. And it is Mb not MB. And the gameplay...isn't too bad...really it isn't too bad, sometimes I will get these lag sessions where I can't play...it might just be the other players I don't know. But downloading demos, which I don't do often, but I will do occasionally...is shit...I have to leave my 360 on overnight. It is terrible.

I think I tested the Play Link on my PC with both wireless things next to each other, and I got like...max...I think 300Kbps...something really slow. So I think anything is an upgrade but I am wondering if G is worth it when I am going fine with shitty Logitech Play Link, except for downloading.

Back
Top Bottom