Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Will I notice a difference between 802.11G and B?

This is for my 360 on Xbox Live, it isn't for on a computer. Keep that in mind.

So I am on this crap Logitech Play Link. It is shit. So slow. I don't download demos much, but I do. I mostly online game. Nothing special.

I know G is much faster than B. Being about 25MBps, and B being 4.5MBps.

Now in online gaming, will I notice a difference? I am trying to decide between 2 wireless access points/bridges from ebay.

I have like 15MBps download speed internet service, but I have never downloaded anything over 1MBps. Even on the fastest downloads I might get 500k. I know the faster my download, the faster someone is uploading, so what is like the max speed you can get off of xbox live? Also I got like 2 MBps upload speed service...so IDK.

Should I go with the slower 802.11B? Or spend a couple bucks more for the G? Is it worth it for a 360?

PS, the prices are for the B 18 shipped, and for the G 25 shipped. Don't base your answer on price though.

i want a laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to disturbed13
Default Re: Will I notice a difference between 802.11G and B?

its faster
so yeah
i have mine on g
and if i was to downgrade
it would stop all together
but thats just me

<iframe src="http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/getDynamicImage.do?memberName=disturbed13&mnOn=tru e&stat=1&imageNum=4&rankOn=false&projectsOn=false& special=false" frameborder="0" name="di" scrolling="no" width="125px" height="176px"></iframe>
disturbed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
I don't download demos much, but I do.
what?

Quote:
I know G is much faster than B. Being about 25MBps, and B being 4.5MBps.

Now in online gaming, will I notice a difference? I am trying to decide between 2 wireless access points/bridges from ebay.

I have like 15MBps download speed internet service, but I have never downloaded anything over 1MBps. Even on the fastest downloads I might get 500k. I know the faster my download, the faster someone is uploading, so what is like the max speed you can get off of xbox live? Also I got like 2 MBps upload speed service...so IDK.

Should I go with the slower 802.11B? Or spend a couple bucks more for the G? Is it worth it for a 360?

PS, the prices are for the B 18 shipped, and for the G 25 shipped. Don't base your answer on price though
i never noticed a difference on laptops/desktops, they are all the same, as long as the speed dont go over the wireless speed the wireless adapter goes.
I wouldnt personally put a wireless thing for the 360, i prefer to connect through ethernet. Its more reliable
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
j03
~~~~~~~~

Send a message via MSN to j03

I'd say it's worth it, yes. Wireless B is older technology, and G isnt MUCH more expensive
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

okay, so you have 15 MegaBITs per second web access, or 15 MegaBYTEs per second? There is a difference, one byte= 8 bits. MB is Mega BYTE, while Mb is MegaBIT.

wireless g is 6.75 MegaBYTEs(54 MegaBITs) per second. wireless b is 1.3 MegaBYTEs(11 MegaBITs) per second. Either way (see first paragraph) you WILL see a slight increase in speed.

and most routers now are b/g compatible.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
xxcobraxx

What about wireless N.
Its very wicked
IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antdemo View Post
What about wireless N.
Its very wicked
The 360 wireless adapter doesn't support N. So in essence he wouldn't need it, but I picked up my d-link wireless N router for $60 USD. I don't have anything that uses N yet, but I figured if I was buying a router I might as well spend the $10 extra and get the wireless N capability.

OP - How good is your online game play with wireless B?? This is where you will notice the biggest difference. I would highly recommend getting the wireless G if you like online multiplayer. There will be a lot less lag in your gameplay (and that of others you are playing with).
xtremezx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
In Runtime

Well I am on my Logitech Play Link right now. And it is max speed 1.5Mbps. And it is Mb not MB. And the gameplay...isn't too bad...really it isn't too bad, sometimes I will get these lag sessions where I can't play...it might just be the other players I don't know. But downloading demos, which I don't do often, but I will do occasionally...is shit...I have to leave my 360 on overnight. It is terrible.

I think I tested the Play Link on my PC with both wireless things next to each other, and I got like...max...I think 300Kbps...something really slow. So I think anything is an upgrade but I am wondering if G is worth it when I am going fine with shitty Logitech Play Link, except for downloading.

i want a laptop is offline   Reply With Quote