Will a Geforce 8600GT 256MB....do this?

Ronspc

Daemon Poster
Simple yes or no question easy reputation. I have a Dell Inspiron 531 looked it up on wikipedia apparently it comes stock with a 300 to 320 watt psu. My question is do i need to buy a new psu to support the new video card. I ask because even tho it is a PCI Express x16 card and requires no pci power cord, do i need to upgrade my psu. as stated under the specifications section on newegg they state that this card needs at leas 350 watts of power. idk what i should do.

Yes, it will work. My son put one in his friend's Dell and it works just fine. The Dell PSU may be a bit low in watts, but they are strong on the amps.

Simple yes or no question easy reputation. I have a Dell Inspiron 531 looked it up on wikipedia apparently it comes stock with a 300 to 320 watt psu. My question is do i need to buy a new psu to support the new video card. I ask because even tho it is a PCI Express x16 card and requires no pci power cord, do i need to upgrade my psu. as stated under the specifications section on newegg they state that this card needs at leas 350 watts of power. idk what i should do.

I ran an 8600GT with a 350w psu, it should work for the short term but I would plan on getting a better psu, at least 500w or 600w in case you plan on getting a high powered video card in the future...

here's a review of the XFX 8600GT and it's power consumption, the 350w psu that is specified on Newegg is for the whole system, not just the card...

8600GT power consumption

Back
Top Bottom