Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #11
Baseband Member

Default Re: Will this custom PC build work?

Wylide36/dave that Video card you have choosen there is ancient, I actually didn't think you could buy AGP cards anymore lol. Your motherboard and processor are far better than that video card is and I would highly suggest spending another 30 bucks on the video card which will take you all the way from at 7600 GT all the way up to a GTX 550. I think the 7600 GT were made back in like 2005/2006 and 4 years is a long time for video card improvements/development. The Power supply you choose is a little expensive IMO and you can find 'name' brands such as OCZ 600watt power supplies for about $50.

I would suggest check out the computer part page here listed below. There is a moderate gaming computer setup that costs about $850 that would be perfect for video editing (and gaming if you wanted).
How to Build a Computer - Part Selection

If you decide to stick with your own build, I would just suggest saving some $$ on the PSU and buying a little bit of a better video card, you dont need a GREAT video card for simple video editing (video generation is a different story), but the 7600 GT might have some problems with higher resolution videos.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:34 PM   #12
Beta Member

Perfect mate thanks heaps.
I dont have alot of custom computer exp. So this is great.
To be honest I might go with what you have shown me, the moderate setup.

I suppose my only question would be if I take this price to my old man and he says that's a little bit to expensive where would you begin to downgrade? which would least effect the visual performance?

Thanks again.

wyldie36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:06 AM   #13
Baseband Member

to help shave down the cost a little bit you can get this i5 processor instead to save $20:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2300 Sandy Bridge 2.8GHz (3.1GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52300

you could also switch to an open box (but never broken) HDD to save $50:
Newegg.com - Open Box: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

OR, If your dad is not going to have massive amounts of video editing you could also switch to a 500gb HDD for now to save about $40:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

The motherboard that is listed on the website will also save you about $50.