Will clock speed make a difference here?

emperor76

In Runtime
Hi all, after replacing the broken cpu in an old desktop with a 2ghz cpu, I'm just wondering if it's worth upgrading to the 3.2ghz version, I'm currently waiting for an upgrade to 1gb ram to arrive, it's running xp and the most demanding game it's likely to run is Minecraft, when I build the nest computer to go in that room, this will then go upstairs and probably get put on the bedroom t.v for Netflix and the like, so it's never likely to be running anything big

I have a feeling that your old system are not capable of running that 3.2 Ghz CPU. Also your upgrade to 1 gig memory kinda clinched it.

How about you download Speccy and post the summary? That will help us determine whether you can upgrade.

Thanks, the cpu I took out with broken pins was actually 3.2ghz, it's an advent 3310, I'll go and do that when I get kids to bed

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

What model is it and what is the price for that 3,2 upgrade?

the upgrade is about £5

Interesting. I didn't know there's a P4 3.2 CPU.

And how the heck you get around with 512 megs of memory? ;)

Interesting. I didn't know there's a P4 3.2 CPU.

And how the heck you get around with 512 megs of memory? ;)
There's also a label I found on the front which claims it's 3.2ghz, yet looking at the 3310 specs it says the cpu is 2.2ghz I think. And in answer to your question regarding ram, with great difficulty, it is running xp, but if Avast decided to update while you want to do something, you can forget it, but to be fair, it's not my main computer, just a project really, I will have 1gb in by tomorrow

Nice to see someone besides me re-using old stuff for non-demanding applications, instead of buying some horrible small form factor thing.

Clock speed will make a bit of a difference, as will the memory. Netflix is hardly demanding; but it does require some decent processing power for the images to be fluid and smooth.

What kind of GPU has it got? This could be a clinching point if the screen you plan to use is quite large.

Back
Top Bottom