Will clock speed make a difference here?

for some reason the cheapest of them are the 3,2.
Get that. Also an extra gig of RAM for your system (total of 2) and a Linux OS. That will make a big difference.

Nice to see someone besides me re-using old stuff for non-demanding applications, instead of buying some horrible small form factor thing.

Clock speed will make a bit of a difference, as will the memory. Netflix is hardly demanding; but it does require some decent processing power for the images to be fluid and smooth.

What kind of GPU has it got? This could be a clinching point if the screen you plan to use is quite large.

To be honest, I can't afford to buy expensive things like that when the graphics card on my main computer is in such desperate need of upgrading. This computer was free as my brother works doing house clearances, and has been a chance to fill in some blanks in my learning as I didn't really have the money for them when I was younger, other than the p166 I got for free in 1999 to practice on. Video card, that's a bit of a touchy subject, been trying to get one to work for ages, thought it must be the card, so got another, and I'm having the same problem, it will be an agp 128mb card most likely if I get it working. I wasn't going to admit to this, but I did put the CMOS battery back in the wrong way, it was an upright one, and I've never removed one like that before, I got suspicious when I had to keep setting the time on start up, just ordered a new one t0o be on the safe side as the computer is so old. Someone did suggest it could be lack of ram which I'm expecting to arrive hopefully in the next hour so I'll try that again, someone also suggested the case could be restricting the card from fully going in the slot, so I also removed the back plate on one of the cards, but still no joy!

for some reason the cheapest of them are the 3,2.
Get that. Also an extra gig of RAM for your system (total of 2) and a Linux OS. That will make a big difference.
I did get 2gb ram, but it constantly bleeped at me, tried both sticks one at a time as well, yet I put the 512mb back in and all was fine, so today I've got another 512mb coming, as I reluctantly admitted to in the previous post, I did put the CMOS battery back in the wrong way, is it possible that is what stopped the new RAM from working?

---------- Post added at 03:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 AM ----------

I'm half tempted to take the walk of shame back into the shop, and re buy one of the sticks to see if I can somehow get any joy

On old computers you have to be more specific about what ram you give it.
If it supports at best a PC2-5300 then you give it PC2-5300 and not a module like PC2-8500.

DDR1 400 mhz = PC-3200. So it should work.
Have you placed the RAM in the correct order?
Some motherboard are very sensitive about which Ports are used.

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

Ohh wait.
I see in the link BK gave, that the board only has 2 ports. then you can't misplace the ram.
hmmmm. wonder what the problem could be

DDR1 400 mhz = PC-3200. So it should work.
Have you placed the RAM in the correct order?
Some motherboard are very sensitive about which Ports are used.

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

Ohh wait.
I see in the link BK gave, that the board only has 2 ports. then you can't misplace the ram.
hmmmm. wonder what the problem could be

I'm baffled, I did notice it's only a 300 watt psu, would ram make a difference to the power usage? it's not exactly high spec, and it was running a graphics card before as well.

Back
Top Bottom