Will it boot from DVD?

Jon120

Solid State Member
Hi

I got a ASUS M2A-VM HDMI mobo. I need to boot from the DVD in order to install windows 7. I got the latest bios for it. However when in boot priority, I only have four options, Removeable, Hardrive, CD and Disabled. I only have the hardrive and DVD drive on the IDE cable. Hardrive being the master. Even when I F8 it on start up and select the DVD drive from the list it still boots from the hardrive. Any help would be much appreciated.

Do you have them both on the same IDE cable? I've seen that cause problems in the past. If you have a second IDE cable I'd suggest trying hooking up the DVD drive to the second cable.

Even if you have the DVD first in boot order? I always have the DVD first and if a DVD is detected in the drive it'll ask you if you want to boot it.

Try with F12. You want to see if it is a boot option at all. You can check the BIOS to see if it is disabled and why as well. That is what I would normally do.

Correct me if I am wrong but are some motherboards specific about which IDE port is used for the DVD/HDD drive?

Correct me if I am wrong but are some motherboards specific about which IDE port is used for the DVD/HDD drive?

IDE0 is often a different colour, but you can use any IDE port for any drive that fits. I would personally add the HDD first to IDE0, then the DVD/CD drive would be IDE1. Doesn't make a difference though.

If you are using an IDE connection you will have to change the little jumper on the back of the drive. It needs to be changed from "master" to "slave" or to "cable select"

Back
Top Bottom