Will adding ram make a difference? (6gb to 12gb)

jarlmaster

In Runtime
Hey guys. So I was just thinking about something. I have 6gb of ram installed in my system but the mobo supports 12gb. I don't think doubling my ram would be particularly useful but I'm just curious if you guys think doing so would be smart or worthwhile. So that introduces the question. Would doubling my ram be worth it or not?

Edit: I should add that I don't do any video editing or any ram intensive things. I just game on it, browse the internet, youtube, etc.

Honestly, you probably won't see too much of a difference between 6 and 12 for anything but gaming. But even within games that'll depend on the games you're playing and the settings at which you run.

I recently did a similar upgrade from 10GB to 16GB and noticed no difference anywhere. Now 6GB as a starting point is a little different as high-end games could easily chew 4GB with only 2 left for windows and other background apps but beyond 10GB I really don't think you'll notice a difference.

I run all of my games maxed out @1080p. I have a 970 which handles anything and everything I throw at it with 60fps plus. So idk if adding the ram will make any difference in that case.

You are gonna see absolutely no difference in FPS.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

I found a benchmark testing it.
Looks like it might - Might - slightly speed up the level loading process.
I suspect this only to be the case if you restart a level.
FPS gain is still no where to be found for 4gig RAM and up.

How much RAM do I really need for gaming - Page 2

Last edited:
Just to throw this out there purely as a reason to increase your buffer of free ram a bit -

I play a game called world of war planes. Free game, I highly recommend it if you like games that really utilize a joystick. Anyways there's a known issue where it will develop a memory leak and slowly occupy more and more RAM. Once it hits 4GB it will crash and you have to re-launch the application. Now if all you have is 6GB when you have absolutely no ram left your computer will be crawling making it difficult to close out applications to speed thigns back up. If you were to have 8GB on your machine, then only the app would crash and you wouldn't have any of the other headaches.

So while going to 12GB might not be worth the money, adding an extra 2GB for a slightly faster load and extra room for Windows to play with wouldn't hurt you at this point.

I COULD SAVE A WHOLE SECOND!! lol I'm being super sarcastic. Thank you guys for your insight. No way in hell I'm spending 60-70 bucks for that measly improvement. I wouldn't even notice that and if it makes no noticeable impact in Windows then I won't waste my money. As for Celegorm's comment I do not play world of warplanes. Games run buttery smooth and so does Windows. I was just curious if it would be worthwhile at all and seeing as it is not I will not add ram. I will also not add 2gb of ram because my mobo has six slots and can only run 1, 2, 3, or 6 dimms. I have three 2gb dimms and don't want to buy a whole new set of ram just to get 8 gigs. Besides I heard a while ago that 6gb in triple channel is better than 8gb in dual channel (on the x58 platform at least).

It's a memory area reserved for the video card. The BIOS gives you options of choosing the amount of memory to dedicate to it.

I don't think my bios has a setting like that at all. I have 4gb of VRAM on my graphics card. I'm definitely in good shape there.

Back
Top Bottom