Why you dont need the extra video ram

no
those games r all ports
from 360 with minimal dx10 upgrades
give me a game thats completetly dx10 like crysis
that was built dx10 then downgraded for dx9 and 360/ps3
not the other way

none of those games are ports, they were worked on by different teams cooperatively, thats how they were released at the same time on all platforms.

gears of war for example will be a port, since it wasnt orginally intended for the pc, and they have to manually take the code\models and make them compatible for the pc.

EDIT:
actually bioshock was ported from PC to 360

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/08/13/hands-on-with-the-bioshock-demo-360 said:
looks absolutely amazing on the 360, with a rock-solid framerate and control scheme. This is no second-class port, and I'm wavering in my conviction to buy the PC version.

also
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/09/directx_10_shootout/page5.html
there is only a 10FPS difference at 1024x768 but its weird because the ram isnt slowing it down though, because the 320mb OC gains 5FPS.

i didnt use these results since CoH wasnt released as a DX10 title and is completely un optimized for it.

im telling video ram will be a very big deal
in upcoming games

yes that could be the case but you cant definatly say that cos you cant tell the future
and i would still say that v ram is one of the last things i would look at , cos look at this one for examply if you fall foul to the whole marketing plyo and stuff you would think my 512mb X1550 would be better than an 8800gts 320 meb which plainly would be a crazy thing to say

nvidia is dropping the 320MB version though when the 8800GT is coming out, since the 8800GT will outperform the GTS before they add the 16 more stream processors, which wouldn't make any sense to have a higher end car outperformed by a lower end card lol

Well... sometime you do. After getting the new monitor first my old 320mb card couldnt play much at 2560x1600.

Tried a 640Mb of my mates which did improve things by about 20-25%

But in the end you need a very high end graphics with plenty of ram to do the job at very high res.

Moral of the story......when buying a bigger higher res monitor, find out if your current graphics card will have enough grunt.

Not very many people run those higher resolutions. But later on, more memory will be used and it will help having the extra video memory.

There needs to be a tool where you can see GPU core usage and GPU memory usage.

gears of war for example will be a port, since it wasnt orginally intended for the pc, and they have to manually take the code\models and make them compatible for the pc.
Gears of war is not going to be a port to the PC. It's a whole new build of the unreal3 engine, not a port of the 360's build. This one will be fully optimized and ready to kick ass. Don't dare compare that to a port.

Back
Top Bottom