Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
Baseband Member
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 47
Default Why would...

My laptop start going dead on me when I unplug it from the power source? It lasts about 4 or 5 minutes. When I first unplug, it says I have 99 percent, then it just cuts off. No warning or anything. It is not very old and did not do this before, I used to be able to get about an hour out of it. Thanks.

Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:05 AM   #2
Daemon Poster
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,027
Default Re: Why would...

It could be that you're battery is going/is dead...If you have a spare laying around I would try that, if you get the same results it could be a problem with the recharger in the laptop..


Mattyl110792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
Furby123's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 491
Default Re: Why would...

Yeah your battery is probably going

It might be worth contacting the manufacturer of the laptop about it, as when I did this with Acer they took the laptop in, had a look at it, and fixed it under the guarantee

Obviously this depends on how long you've had it and whether It's still under guarantee
Furby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
Golden Master
dude_se's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,632
Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: Why would...

a good change your battery is fcuked. i dont know if theres any viruses that can drain your battery like this, i highly doubt it. contact the manufacturer and if they are decent enough they will send you a replacement. what laptop is it? i heard toshiba had a bad batch of batterys not too long back
Laptop spec: ASUS X53E, i5 2430m 2.4ghz, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd, intel hd graphics, usb 3.0
dude_se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:26 PM   #5
Site Team
celegorm's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,674
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Why would...

i'm willing to bet its your laptops battery. slim chance of the actual contact that is connected to the motherboard being damaged, or coming off the board.

my last bet would be the charger itself.
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
Wizard of Wires
setishock's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,031
Default Re: Why would...

Clean the battery contacts with a pencil eraser. Don't get too frisky just a gentle brushing off. Most battery damage comes from having the battery in while the laptop is on ac power. Some laptop models don't have a smart charger circuit and will continuously charge the battery. This not only over charges the battery but over heats the battery which can lead to killing it.
Run the lappy on the battery and let it shut down. Don't touch it over night and in the morning plug the ac in and let it charge for about 4 hours. Then pull the ac and let it go till it shuts down. Do this over and over till the battery comes back to full power. If it doesn't then the battery is kaput and you need to warm up the visa card. They're not cheap.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0