Why is my tv displaying HD?

Wiredchild

In Runtime
I have a Panasonic Viera TH37PE30 which is a couple of years old and shouldn't be able to display HD. However, when i put my Xbox360 on HD it still displays all resolutions up to the highest 1080i, how can it do this and is doing so likely to damage the tv?

any thing above 480 p is high deff
and its very possible you bought a highdeff tv
i just found out my old crt monitor supports high deff
crazy isnt it
and even if it isnt
no playing it on a higher rez wont hurt it
but its always best picture clarity wise to play it at your tvs highest rez no
above or bellow

May I ask how you are connecting your 360 up to your TV?

If its using Component cables, its a HD ready TV, I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, it looks really great on HD, especially 1080i (which is HD rot13, along with the lower resolution 480p and 720p, the 'p' just stands for progressive rather than interlaced scanning, which is supposed to look better but i don't know why). It shouldn't display though. It's quite an old plasma and some of the new ones don't even display 1080 resolutions so it doesn't make sense that this one does (especially considering the 'actual' HD models at the time were twice as much, hence not getting one).

I just don't really understand it. I assumed if you put a HD signal through a standard definition television it would either be too big to display the whole screen like my pc LCD does, or say something like 'no signal input' like my old CRT did when you put a resolution too big to display.

I really don't get HD, especially what componants it can be put through. I used to think it could only go through a HDMI cable but when i got my XBOX360 i realised componant cables and the three pin (yellow, white and red) AV cables too.

Yeah...I think somehow, its HD.

I'm wondering if your monitor isn't simply stretching the image though...

are you truly getting all the pixels at 1080?

Most LCD/Plasmas screens can display Hi Def pictures, and are HD capable which just means thats can display a Hi Def picture, the TV's that say they have Hi Def built in means they have a tuner built in to the TV so you don't need to get an additional HD receiver and hook that up to your TV.

I was reading about the TV online and it says its not HD compatible, but I only checked one site, but it sounds like to me that it is if your able to get it to work on HD with your 360.

Back
Top Bottom