Why is my RAM running at Single Channel?

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
When I turn on the PC it says a few specs (linke mobo model, HT enabled, gfx model etc)before it boots and one thing it also says is "memory is running at single channel". It has DDR RAM. I haved looked in the bios and can't find any options to change to dual channel. On the motherboard's box it says it supports dual channel. Anybody know why this is? Thanks.

you have to have the ram in the right slots for dual channel to work, if you have color coded slots put the ram in the same color slots, if you have an odd number of ram sticks that will also take it out of dual channel

@ OP, what board is it and does it support dual channel?

Don't you have to have exactly the same type of RAM as well?
Yes, exact is not a prerequisite, similar sticks can run in dual channel sucessfully if the timings are the same.

So if you have 2 different manufacturers but the sticks have the same timings, they could work in DC mode?

Yes, though that isn't to say every stick with the same timings will run in dual channel. Some will some won't.

go in to the bios and start browsing around and see if there is an option to do dual channel than enable it.

Back
Top Bottom