Why is my internet so slow?

I have verizon 3mb dsl and a while back I noticed my downloading was getting bad speeds. My speed test gave me like 700kb up. I called them and they gave me things to try (reset modem, try shorter phone cable, etc.) and none of it worked. They said they would send someone to go look at my setup. The guy said that multiple people in the area were having the same problem and he had to run new wire from my phone jack out to the telephone pole. Problem fixed.

Only problem with this is that I assume that you are on cable and that is wired totally different than dsl and this does not apply to you. They could be right about the traffic though, because isn't cable shared with the neigborhood? That means if everyone on your block is torrenting they you end up with shitty speeds (correct me if I'm wrong).

I have verizon 3mb dsl and a while back I noticed my downloading was getting bad speeds. My speed test gave me like 700kb up. I called them and they gave me things to try (reset modem, try shorter phone cable, etc.) and none of it worked. They said they would send someone to go look at my setup. The guy said that multiple people in the area were having the same problem and he had to run new wire from my phone jack out to the telephone pole. Problem fixed.

Only problem with this is that I assume that you are on cable and that is wired totally different than dsl and this does not apply to you. They could be right about the traffic though, because isn't cable shared with the neigborhood? That means if everyone on your block is torrenting they you end up with shitty speeds (correct me if I'm wrong).

You are correct. Also at the same time you have to take into account the amount of traffic on the wires to the servers that you are running the tests to. You ISP doesn't control the internet therefore can't really guarantee your bandwidth to other servers because the server could be overloaded, have low bandwidth, etc...

Back
Top Bottom