Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-29-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Question Why must computers get registered?

I always wondered why computers must get registered before they can be used? My Acer laptop was a nightmare to register; especially since I had to call a rep in India who had a deep accent. Almost 1 hour including being put on hold. Why is registration so complicated and even requires the owner to type-in long codes and serial numbers as well as other numbers printed on the box. I tried by-passing registration on my HP laptop, but it could not be used. When using a new LCD TV or a new camera, they don't require registration, so why do computers require this annoyance?

Myron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Why must computers get registered?

There are usually 2 things happening with a new computer.

1) You may need to ACTIVATE the OS. This is to ensure that you have a valid license for the software and it is associated with your computer. If the OS isn't activated, it may only work for a short period of time then start nagging you to activate. It may eventually stop booting or boot with limited functionality.

2) REGISTERING your computer is generally for warranty purposes. The mfr wants you to register your computer so they can have a record for the warranty period. In the US, a company must honor the warranty regardless of whether you registered or not.

I personally have not encountered a computer where it wouldn't function unless you registered it.

strollin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:31 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

In my experience it's been an automated service I can do in under 3 minutes. That's even if I have to phone, usually ait's automatically done online!

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:05 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

The OP is talking about Win8. And that is a bane that is very unfortunate, but also nessery. If you did not have a windows account, then that is why. You can and should set it up online.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:32 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

What does setting up an MS account have to do with registering? I don't get the impression that's what the OP is talking about especially since it doesn't require typing in long codes and serial numbers.
strollin is online now   Reply With Quote