Why must computers get registered?

Myron1

Baseband Member
I always wondered why computers must get registered before they can be used? My Acer laptop was a nightmare to register; especially since I had to call a rep in India who had a deep accent. Almost 1 hour including being put on hold. Why is registration so complicated and even requires the owner to type-in long codes and serial numbers as well as other numbers printed on the box. I tried by-passing registration on my HP laptop, but it could not be used. When using a new LCD TV or a new camera, they don't require registration, so why do computers require this annoyance?

There are usually 2 things happening with a new computer.

1) You may need to ACTIVATE the OS. This is to ensure that you have a valid license for the software and it is associated with your computer. If the OS isn't activated, it may only work for a short period of time then start nagging you to activate. It may eventually stop booting or boot with limited functionality.

2) REGISTERING your computer is generally for warranty purposes. The mfr wants you to register your computer so they can have a record for the warranty period. In the US, a company must honor the warranty regardless of whether you registered or not.

I personally have not encountered a computer where it wouldn't function unless you registered it.

Last edited:
The OP is talking about Win8. And that is a bane that is very unfortunate, but also nessery. If you did not have a windows account, then that is why. You can and should set it up online.

What does setting up an MS account have to do with registering? I don't get the impression that's what the OP is talking about especially since it doesn't require typing in long codes and serial numbers.

Back
Top Bottom