why does opening a port slow my computer

Rubber314Chicken

Golden Master
when I open a port for bittorrent -in my case 51423, my computer speed on the internet will slow consiterbly. But when I ping my router, with or without the port opened, I get a 4ms responce time. why?

this seems so stupid but I'm going to ask anyway.
You sure that bittorrent isn't active? If there are active torrents then of course webpages etc will be slower since the torrent is using your bandwidth. And the reason it wouldn't effect the ping to the router is the fact that you are connected to the router with lan, which is fast enough. But your connection to the outside world isn't that fast.

mammikoura said:
this seems so stupid but I'm going to ask anyway.
You sure that bittorrent isn't active? If there are active torrents then of course webpages etc will be slower since the torrent is using your bandwidth. And the reason it wouldn't effect the ping to the router is the fact that you are connected to the router with lan, which is fast enough. But your connection to the outside world isn't that fast.

And saying it is active, it depends on the torrents...cause i sometimes have one going very slowly, like 5-10k, and it really impacts my connection, yet sometimes i get them going at >100k and my net runs fine...

Matt

I get the same thing when running torrents, it has to do with the way the torrent network operates I think.

Mattyl110792 said:
And saying it is active, it depends on the torrents...cause i sometimes have one going very slowly, like 5-10k, and it really impacts my connection, yet sometimes i get them going at >100k and my net runs fine...

Matt

then it's not a problem with bandwidth. Check your torrent clients settings, and try messing around with the max peers (or something similar).

mammikoura said:
then it's not a problem with bandwidth. Check your torrent clients settings, and try messing around with the max peers (or something similar).

I did find this...My connection is 1500DL/256UL...which is 25.6kb/s UL...if i leave my Upload speed set to unlimited, webpages hardly load at all, so i lowered it to 23kb, and seems to work fine, just needed a limit i guess...

Matt

Mattyl110792 said:
I did find this...My connection is 1500DL/256UL...which is 25.6kb/s UL...if i leave my Upload speed set to unlimited, webpages hardly load at all, so i lowered it to 23kb, and seems to work fine, just needed a limit i guess...

Matt

with dsl connections you shouldn't let torrent clients use all of the available upload speed. It will have a big effect in the download speeds. Something like a few kb/s less than the maximum is good enough.
And if your upload is 256 it means that the max speed is 32kb/s. Though almost always it is a little slower.

mammikoura said:
with dsl connections you shouldn't let torrent clients use all of the available upload speed. It will have a big effect in the download speeds. Something like a few kb/s less than the maximum is good enough.
And if your upload is 256 it means that the max speed is 32kb/s. Though almost always it is a little slower.

Thanks for the info, and should i lower the upload limit a few for p2p programs as well as torrent clients?

Matt

Mattyl110792 said:
Thanks for the info, and should i lower the upload limit a few for p2p programs as well as torrent clients?

Matt

Not sure, I think that I've let other p2p software use unlimited upload speed. Though I haven't used anything else than torrents for many years so I'm not sure if I remember correctly. You could always just test how it works if there is no limit.

Back
Top Bottom