Why can't I run this? Hardware help...

unclejeffro

Beta member
So I have a long story..if you can help, it would be great.

I just recently built a new computer(Im very poor...go easy on me) to use, and It doesn't seem to be running well.

My old computer specs we're:
Biostar k8m800
1gb dd2 ram (dont know what speed)
256 nvidia geforce 6800/gt
Sempron 3400+ (Running at 1900mhz)
160gb hard drive.
It ran things like unreal tournament 3 (fairly new, made in 2007), half life 2, online fpsmmo's like combat arms, and A.V.A. (Alliance of Valiant Arms).

But this computer with brand new windows xp..
Asus p4p800se
1.75gb DDR, 200mhz/333mhz. (My ddr runs at different speeds, is that bad?)
Pentium 4ht 2.8ghz (Running at 2.81ghz).
Same 160gb hard drive.
Same video card.

Games seem really laggy...all drivers are installed and I'm beyond 100% positive its spyware/adware free.

So I have three questions.

1. When it starts up, my motherboard bios(Asus) says New cpu installed, load default bios options...and then when it reloads, it takes away the HT in the cpu image, like it isn't running the hyper thredding anymore. These motherboard I guess are famous for this problem....but why is it doing this after I've updated the bios?

2. Does my ram have to be all the same speeds? In certain slots? Bios configured?

3. Why does this run so much slower than my last computer? Specification wise, it's better...right?

Thanks for your help.

Well if you dropped down from DDR2 to DDR that wouldn't help. I'm not sure if that was a typo or not.

EDIT you did downgrade memory quite a bit. DDR is a lot older and less powerful. The slowest DDR2 I can think of is 400mhz which is still faster then what you have, odds are you had 533mhz or 667mhz in your old system. Maybe there's another underlying issue here...but from what I can tell, you're suffering from slow RAM speeds sir. You're not-so-bad CPU is being bottlenecked. Also isn't helped by the socket 478. I had one of those pentium 4s with HT but it was on the slightly newer lga775 socket. That's the only explanation I can think of.

DDR can go as low as 200MHZ(PC-1600).

You downgraded the system. The CPU and RAM could cause the lags, but the memory is more at the problem. You should of upgraded the RAM on the other system itself.

Back
Top Bottom