Why can't I reformat?

Well actually, it's a pirated version that I got from my friend, and only like 680MB (I dunno if that helps, but maybe the upgrade version is smaller in size).

did you try it in another comp? your "friend" could have pirated the upgrade version, if he did, then just try to find the OEM version. Also if you Had a legit version I was just about to send you a copy of my OEM disk, but now I cant :( (against policy)

I just tried doing it on my old Windows 98 system and it wouldn't work, so uh yeah....

EDIT: Yeah I think it is the upgrade version cuz when I click Intsall Windows after booting the disc in windows, it says what operation do you want to do or something and the first/recommended option is Upgrade and the second is New Install.

no its not an upgrade disc thats how they all are. just pick new install and let it do stuff. itll reboot and ask u where u wanna install win. then just press the but it says to del partitions or w/e and reformat. then itll install win. y do u wanna install win again anyway? sumtin wrong wit ur pc? its a really kickass pc btw. proc musta set u back quite a bit eh?

I wanna reformat cuz I have extreme problems and are you sure that will work cuz aces said it would install windows on a different part of my hdd.

if it's an upgrade disk then it WILL do a dual boot, if it's not, them I dont know what will happen, but probably the same thing.

yep, do you have any linux install cd's kickin around? you can just boot up from those after you have installed the second win xp. the linux thing will show you your partitions and stuff, just pick the one you want to delete, let linux delete it then exit the linux installer, the old partition with winxp on it should b gone. also you can probably just try and format it using my computer, because it should how up as a seperate partition, and it should let you rightclick--> format, that may or may not work. but if you do that make shure that the one you format is the one with the old win xp on it.

When I go to the Windows setup and choose New Install instead of Upgrade, it says, Choose this option to replace windows or install it on a new disk or partition. So does that basically mean I can reinstall instead of being forced to install it on a new partition?

EDIT: OK, I just tried installing from the desktop and everything seemed like it was going ok until when it asked what partition to install on. It gave me two choices of the partitions to install, the current one with windows xp on it already or a different one which didn't even have a enough room. It also had the option to delete the current partition that had windows on it, but when I tried, it said it couldn't because windows was using setup files or something that were needed in order to complete the installation. So I tried rebooting and this time tried an option that said it would repaid an already existing windows xp so I tried and then like 90 something percent into it it stopped and said some file couldn't be copied so I had to reboot and now here I am with a comp that works for the most part except it's not reading that I have a video card (at least I think). Maybe it is, but for some reason I cna't change the resolution, when I go to the desktop properties it just asks what theme I want and there are no tabs or anything. I even downloaded new drivers from nvidia and I still can't. There could even be other problems for all I know, but basically, I have the same comp as before (not reformatted) and now resolution problems. So wtf? I'm gonna keep trying things to get Windows installed, but for right now I have no idea what to do. I can't just go and get a new hdd cuz that'll piss off my dad and I'm already having memory issues (ran memtest and got like 1000). So right now my comp is really chaotic.

Back
Top Bottom