Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Why am I still lagging in games, FPS issue?

Hi there, Im not too too good with computer things, but I know a good amount, just not so much about computer hardware that works with other computer hardware.

Anyways, my motherboard is MCP61PM-HM (if you google that it finds it). I run a minecraft server, and play a lot of games myself, including WoW, Minecraft, SWTOR, League Of Legends, Assassin's Creed, Batman, and a few more.

I just recently bought this graphics card for around $200, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560, I was told it is great and should make my games run smooth on atl east High graphics. This motherboard was a huge upgrade from my other one, which I find selling on ebay for $30 brand new lol.

With these specs, I still lag on games and have some FPS issues, on even medium graphics:

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
Motherboard: MCP61PM-HM
Processor: AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core Processor (4CPUs) ~2.2GHz
Memory: 6144 MB RAM

So I have a few questions:

1. Would upgrading my processor make my games run smooth on atleast High settings? They lag just as much as my old $30 graphics card.

2. Is my motherboard the problem?

3. What could possibly be preventing me from running on high graphics? On high graphics in most of my games, I run around 15 FPS.. and get random leg spikes, Assassin's creed it TERRIBLE!

(Also, I updated all my drivers, have messed around with settings in NVIDIA and stuff, it's honestly NO different than my old graphics card, pretty sure I should atleats notice ANY difference spending $200 on a new graphics card..)

Hope someone can help me out, thanks!

LaxHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Why am I still lagging in games, FPS issue?

Well, It's definitely not the card; I've got a GTX 460 and it runs Skyrim, Warcraft, and most other thigns on Ultra without problem.

I'd say the general issue is going to be the Chip and the board; the original Phenom line were dire in terms of performance. Memory is probably alright - DDR2 is out of date now but 6GB of it shouldn't cause lag on the games you mentioned. I'd say upgrade the board and chip (which will also be a memory upgrade, since a newer board would only support DDR3).

EVGA SLI Micro Z68 // Intel i5-2500k // 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz // Overclocked 2GB MSI R9 270X // Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 // Kingston Hyper-X 120GB // 2TB WD Green + 500GB WD Black
~Darkseeker~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
Beta Member
Default Re: Why am I still lagging in games, FPS issue?

I agree with ~Darkseeker~, with upgrading some hardware, but for now try to close any other processes and applications you don't need, including background ones, I know when I leave my background apps and processes running it reduces how well my game runs.
JohnTran is offline   Reply With Quote

games, lag, processor