-512mb RAM
-ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 w/64 mb RAM
-DVD/CD-RW combo drive
-$800

Averatec (not sure which model)
-AMD Sempron 2800+
-512mb RAM
-DVD+-RW thing, whatever
-$700 at the local CompUSA after rebates.

Judging from what you listed, this one is better:

Emachine M6805 (used, reconditioned)
-AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (1.8Ghz)
-512mb RAM
-ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 w/64 mb RAM
-DVD/CD-RW combo drive
-$800

Despite Emachine's poorly constructed PCs of the past, they have improved a lot since then.

Alright, that's what I was thinking. The Averatec caught my eye because it seems like a great price for a thin notebook with a DVD burner.

Is that AMD 64-bit processor good? When will things for 64-bit CPUs start coming out?

AS soon as developers start righting more codes to take advantage of the 64-bit power. It would also be nice if we had a Windows 64-bit version too. It's in the beta stage and should release later this year, if not early next year.

Right now, you can take advantage of the Athlon64 as it has backward compatiblity with 32-bit software. It maximizes the use of 32-bit programming. It is good to have it and when the time comes for the 64-bit rave, you'll be all set.

The 64-bit AMD processor does 32-bit applications better then 32-bit processors can.. this moreso has to do with the integrated memory controller I believe that is built onto them. Windows XP 64-bit will come out before Windows Longhorn. It is essentially the 64-bit version of Windows XP. Someone else posted a topic on that before...

But all in all, go with the EMachine AMD 64 3000+... the Sempron is a very slow processor compared to it.

Giancarlo said:
The 64-bit AMD processor does 32-bit applications better then 32-bit processors can.. this moreso has to do with the integrated memory controller I believe that is built onto them. Windows XP 64-bit will come out before Windows Longhorn. It is essentially the 64-bit version of Windows XP. Someone else posted a topic on that before...

But all in all, go with the EMachine AMD 64 3000+... the Sempron is a very slow processor compared to it.

Well I agree with you on the fact that the Athlon 64 is faster than the Athlon XP, but the memory controller is just a smart move from AMD to reduce latencey. A problem which continues to plague Pentium 4's.

EDIT>>> Go with the eMachines one.

Back
Top Bottom