Where's My Temperature Monitor?

Jamxx

Fully Optimized
I have an irritating situation.

When I first got my new 6600 GT video card, there was a temperature monitor that I could use in the NVIDIA settings program by right-clicking on the desktop, selecting NVIDIA display, and then my monitor name. Well, that option has now gone away, since I updated my BIOS in the video card, NVIDIA drivers, and other things like that. Now I cannot find a way to get my GPU temperature... I'm very irritated. I've tried HEX editors for the BIOS (which, when I read something on the Internet saying what to change and how to do it, didn't work because the @VGA update utility claimed that the BIOS file had a "Checksum error" and that it wouldn't work), reverting back to old drivers, reading countless websites about it from Google searches, and much more. I've not been able to find anything that works. I've tried RivaTuner and many other programs like that.

I am fed up with this. I want to know the temperature of my video card because I'd like to investigate overclocking it, but without a temperature monitor, I don't feel comfortable doing it.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've mentioned this before on different threads, but have gotten no answers. I decided it was time for a new thread about it.

Hope someone has some information about this...

-Jamxx

Re-install the drivers or just download the newest ones of nvidia. Use coolbits2 to OC it.

No, I've done that. I've tried 4 different versions of the drivers. It does not help. And I have the V-Tuner II to overclock it. That works just as well.

Nevermind, guys. I finally found something that will make it work and it did! Here's a link in case anyone else needs to get a temperature monitor back for their 6600 or 6600 GT cards...

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=2379

It works really well and it is easy to do. I'm still concerned about my temperatures, though, they seem to be going up... Right now, my card idles at about 60 degrees Celcius and under a load it goes up to about 85 degrees Celcius... I know that this is okay, but this is without overclocking it and I have a PCI exhaust blower fan right under it sucking out a lot of the heat. I was looking into overclocking my card, since it comes with an overclocking program, but with these temperatures, I'm just not sure. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Uh oh... I'm aware that I've posted a lot lately, and I'm sorry. But now I think that my temperatures have gone out of the normal ballpark.

Running my card at default settings (500/1000), it now idles at 62 degrees Celcius. No huge change there. However, I got this program that really tests your video card, and my card went up to 91 degrees Celcius after about 5 minutes. I read on forums from searches on Google that people have my EXACT same card and they are getting idle temperatures of 45 degrees Celcius and 70 degrees Celcius under load with their card overclocked! A 20 degree difference with the same card (and the difference benefits me) cannot be normal. I need some answers. Should I send it back or what? Do I need to put some new thermal grease between everything? I'm getting very worried...

Sorry for the triple post guys... But this is really worrying me.

Nice link. Glad you found it, where I couldn't find anything at all. I notice towards the bottom of the page on that link, my card is exactly like SWATS. Same temp all across the boards. I guess it doesn't matter who manufacture's the boards. Nvidia chipsets just run that hot.

I think if you are really, really concerned about the temp perhaps exchange it like you said. Get the MSI one is possible. I know if something was bugging me that much, I would return it on the last resort. Where did you purchase it? I wonder if it can be returned as RMA since you've had it for this long already?

I've never gotten a temperature as low as 49 degrees Celcius though! The lowest I have EVER gotten is 57 degrees Celcius!

I don't think you'll see much difference if you add more thermal grease to it (in my opinion--although some people apply Article Silver 5 and sw temp went down just a bit). Unless you completely change the cooling of it (new heatsink/fan or perhaps water cooled), you're pretty much stuck at that temp. I wonder if the graphics card is doing any extra processes while "idling"?

Back
Top Bottom