Where did my sound go??

Jasonb61

Baseband Member
Hello,

I am having a little trouble with my PC.. It's an older PC... 99,00 model.. Amd K6 CPU with Soyo 5SSM mobo and 98SE OS

Anyways, this PC was our first and it's a pretty good PC to be its age. One day I was just trying to clean the system up a bit.. I was in the CP removing programs from the add/remove list and I went to remove one of those stupid spyware programs from the list and my PC froze and I just cursed and proceeded to reboot... I found that the PC was acting really strange after than and a lot of errors were coming up and I found the program list was completly empty... Long story short the PC got the the point where it froze at the OS loading screen so I ended up Reinstalling windows and now I cannot get my sound to work.. I've uninstalled and installed the drivers several times but never seems to work.. I get beeps from the internal speaker but never any audio from the external speakers.. (The soundcard is built-into the Mofo'n Mobo:D)

This is what it says in Device manager:
ESS Solo-1 DOS Emulation
ESS Solo-1 PCI AudioDrive

Any Help on how to get my speakers working?

Thanks,
-Jason

you may have accidently deleted something that was imperative to the computers stability, you may have to reinstall windows, but next time dont try to delete spyware out of the control panel, go to www.download.com and download "Spybot Search & Destroy" it will delete it better than the contol panel, and has less of a chance of causing system instability

hmm, awesome lol... well i've reinstalled windows several times since then and I'm still having no luck.. any idea on what I need to do? Or maybe on what file i need to locate??

Thanks,
-Jason

oh yeah duh i know you need a sound driver... call who ever made the computer and ask where you can download a driver for your sound and then we will tell you how to install it...

~Paul

I apologize.. I didnt make myself clear I guess :-/ You said I may have deleted a file that was imperative to the stability of the computer and I was wondering what that may have been? I've reinstalled windows more than once and I HAVE the drivers and I install them but I never get external sound.. I always get an error about the hardware not responding.. Maybe I disconnected something inside the computer?? Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Jason

OK, I've made progress... I found out that I cannot open the volume controls for one thing... ALSO, I went to the Control Panel, Click on "Multimedia"... The 'Audio' tab was disabled so I went to the 'Devices' tab and found my card... The status for the device said this "Device is enabled but inactive for unknown reasons"

Anyway I can find out why it's disabled? Please help!

Thanks,
Jason

what drivers do u have on? did u use ur motherboard CD for them or what? if u didn't use the cd then u should find out what chipset u have theres a program that tells u in the 'Before you post' or w/e thing in the forum called everest i think get that and then see what you chipset is then google "chipset name" driver and dl it. If that aint it u got my stumped unless u aint gotcha speakers in right slot XP

Back
Top Bottom