Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default When to buy laptop for school?

Hey all,

I will be attending college in the fall and I need to get a laptop. What I'm not sure of is when I should buy it. If I buy it now, I can get rid of any technical problems well before I have to rely on it for school (my desktop had major problems that took weeks to fix). On the other hand, getting it in six months will probably result in more advanced components and capabilities.

I also figure that there will be more good sales in the summer when everyone is buying laptops for school. At the same time, I do attend a community college now so I have an ID that can get discounts. Looking at Dell and Sony, they seem to have discounts for students already. Is there a significant drop in prices during the summer in addition to the 10-15% I can already get off a computer with my CC ID?

Let me know what you think

Sarpedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: When to buy laptop for school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarpedon View Post
Hey all,

I will be attending college in the fall and I need to get a laptop. What I'm not sure of is when I should buy it. If I buy it now, I can get rid of any technical problems well before I have to rely on it for school (my desktop had major problems that took weeks to fix). On the other hand, getting it in six months will probably result in more advanced components and capabilities.

I also figure that there will be more good sales in the summer when everyone is buying laptops for school. At the same time, I do attend a community college now so I have an ID that can get discounts. Looking at Dell and Sony, they seem to have discounts for students already. Is there a significant drop in prices during the summer in addition to the 10-15% I can already get off a computer with my CC ID?

Let me know what you think
Not really. Summer is when everyone buys new stuff. Dell and HP offer great prices year round. Might as well buy it now or in a few months.

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Just make sure that the major you go into doesn't require you to purchase through them. Long story short, I'm majoring in business and we HAVE to buy a SPECIFIC model of a Dell lappy...something I'm not pleased about at all because I can buy a much better laptop elsewhere for the price. So just don't screw yourself over like I almost did (since I almost bought a lappy before finding this out)!
Old 01-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

id personally wait till the summer. wouldnt take that long to set it up, so you have plenty of time to research the perfect laptop and wait for a good deal first.