What's wrong with my 'puter?

Dagger10k

Solid State Member
New guy here with a question. I built my own computer a while ago (over a year), what I'm using now, and it seems to have a bit of a problem, one that I did not notice as much before. My computer seems to be running really slow when starting downloading. Not the actual proccess of downloading, when the download status box is showing, but when I right click a picture for instance and want to save it into my pictures folder, the download window takes about 15 seconds to open, during which time my I can't use my browser (mozilla firebird). This same kind of problem happens with IE. This kind of thing also happens when I am searching with google, I enter a phrase into the seach field, and firebird takes about 5 seconds to load up the pop down box with previous entrys. I think the problem may be with my ram, because when I benchmarked it a while ago all the scores were decent except the ram which was WAY down from the usual for the comparisons. I have 512mb PC2100 Atlas Precison ram, an XP2200, running Windows XP. I cannot remember exactly what motherboard I have, sorry, but It is a Shuttle that only handles up to XP2200. That I remember. Strangly, I can run games and stuff just fine, ut 2004 runs just fine and dandy. Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

I got ad-aware and used it. It found a bunch of stuff and got rid of it, and I think the problem is improved somewhat, however it does not seem to be gone entirely. I still think there may be a memory issue, because of my extremely low memory Benchmark scores.

What do you mean by power? If you mean memory, its explorer.exe with 27,476 k, or if you mean cpu,, it's my browser with one or two, and system idle process with the rest. Immediatly after downloading, when the window is about to close and the browser frozen (short time now), browser takes about 25 cpu.

You still should download and run spybot-but don't let it delete any .dll's
-
and firebird takes about 5 seconds to load up the pop down box with previous entrys

Is firebird a downloading program?-if so try disabling it and see if things are faster.

Have you added any tool bars or search aides to your explorer-these can slow things down to.

All the ideas I have at the moment.

[color=#636363 said:
Dagger10k[/color]] What do you mean by power? If you mean memory, its explorer.exe with 27,476 k, or if you mean cpu,, it's my browser with one or two, and system idle process with the rest. Immediatly after downloading, when the window is about to close and the browser frozen (short time now), browser takes about 25 cpu.

Hmmm, I have no idea. If theres nothing taking up CPU power but its slow then its a bugger. Spybot is a good idea, but I don't think it could be a built in Internet Explorer Searcher because it isn't Internet Explorer using up all the power - nothing is using up all the power.

He's got a good point; try stopping Firebird. Either that or go all the way and get Firefox and be done with it.

I wouldn't have thought it was the RAM but from what has happened it really could be. Do you have any other 512 sticks you could try out; or another computer which you know to be fast which you could try out your RAM on?

Back
Top Bottom