Whats slowing my GTX 260 down

When you overclock your GPU, you don't really noticve much of an increase in performance

When you overclock your GPU, you don't really noticve much of an increase in performance

That's not true at all. You can get very high performance increases.

I have a 20'' monitor, 1680x1050

The card should just be doing fine at 1680x1050. You're really not going to notice a huge performance when you're playing games that aren't too intensive. If your previous card was fine, you should have stuck to it. A more powerful GPU doesn't automatically give you better results. It depends on the situation. Trying playing Crysis with your old and then with the GTX 260. You will see a huge difference.

It helps a HUGE amount. Before I oc'ed my HD 3850 in Spore maxed out I got 21 fps average. After I overclocked I got 28 fps average. It can make that big of a difference!

Hey everyone I built my computer a little over 1 year ago and just upgraded to a EVGA GTX 260 Video card. My card seams like its not performing to what is should be. Any ideas on what might be choking it or slowing it down. My computer build is as follows:

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Superclock 896MB video card

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 LGA775 4MB L2 Cache, 1333 MHz FSB, 2.33GHz Overclocked to 3GHz

Corsair XMS2 DHX TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX 2GB DDR2 2x1GB Pc2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-12 RAM

ASUS P5K-E WiFi-AP Edition Mobo

Zalman CNPS9700 cpu heat sink

2 250GB hard drives set to raid 0

Windows XP Home Edition

How does it seem to not be peforming as it should be?

Theirs no true bottleneck, this can differ between different games. For example, some games are very CPU dependent, and a difference between an 8800 and 260 won't be noticeable, and this can also depend on what you have enabled in the game. And some games can be very ram hungry, (like far cry 2) and 2GB of ram just won't cut it, which is quite a few out there now.

What kinda performance loss are you noticing, it being quite occasionally stuttering, and running fine for a while than going to crap?

In fps games ( call of duty 4 and 5) I get and average of about 95fps. In world of warcraft (always played windowed) I get about 35fps averages. I will get the occasinal stutter but possibly its not my video card. Is it true that xp only supports 2 gigs of ram or is it worth getting 2 more.

In fps games ( call of duty 4 and 5) I get an average of about 95fps. In world of warcraft (always played windowed) I get about 35fps averages. I will get the occasional stutter but possibly its not my video card. Is it true that xp only supports 2 gigs of ram or is it worth getting 2 more.

xp actually supports 3.5 gigs of ram so getting 2 more gigs of ram would be very smart. Those 2 extra gigs will provide a huge increase in performance and will make the bottleneck on the 260 smaller. I would advise that you get the extra 2 gigs over a new cpu for now as that will have a bigger difference.

Back
Top Bottom