What's The Secret?

lol u changed ure location

Me?
Yeah I did. I think it is kinda cool because then if you do a little work, you can find out exactly where I live.

To the OP, zipzoomfly has the Eee 701sd 8gb model down to $150.
Thats actually a good little laptop for web surfing, email, movies, etc. and it wont break the bank at all. That way, you can still get the rig you wanted, and have portability, instead of buying a very expensive gaming laptop.

ehhh i would start with the processor, then you can pick the motherboard etc. from there

Oh I prefer to start from Motherboard.
It helps me decide what kind of case to get, what kind of RAM etc. etc.
But you can start from both, I just prefer motherboard.

One extra thing to think about with motherboards is chipsets. That's pretty much the spinal cord of the computer. But ATX motherboards usually have better chipsets and more functions then microATX do.

EDIT: IMO 2gb is fine for gaming and such. I've never found an occasion where more is needed. Also, when looking at video cards, don't pay extra to get more video ram, 512mb will be PLENTY. I've yet to see a game other then some crazy un-optimized oblivion mod or crysis at a ridiculous resolution use more then 512mb.

Also, when looking at video cards, don't pay extra to get more video ram, 512mb will be PLENTY. I've yet to see a game other then some crazy un-optimized oblivion mod or crysis at a ridiculous resolution use more then 512mb.

It's not only RAM you have to consider.
Just because it's more RAM doesn't mean you get a better card.
You have to look at Core Clock, Memory Speed, Processor clocks not just RAM.
So don't be fooled.

I don't agree with starting with the motherboard...

You should start with what you want to use the PC for first...

Then you should introduce your budget to the equation.

From there you decide on components...

I don't agree with starting with the motherboard...

You should start with what you want to use the PC for first...

Then you should introduce your budget to the equation.

From there you decide on components...

:D :D :D

I'm pretty sure we are past that.
I started off with hardware in my post.

It's not only RAM you have to consider.
Just because it's more RAM doesn't mean you get a better card.
You have to look at Core Clock, Memory Speed, Processor clocks not just RAM.
So don't be fooled.

Exactly. I try to buy the highest performing model I can afford. I don't get the factory overclocked ones, I can overclock myself, why pay extra for it?

However, the real question here, is what do you want to use the computer for?

Laptop motherboards are a whole different story. From what I understand they are proprietary and are designed for a particular use and laptop brand. They are not interchangeable as far as I know.

I also thought most things are soldered in.
You can't just pull stuff and replace, as far as I know.
I'm not saying more, I don't want to mislead.

They aren't necessarily proprietary, it's just not common to be used out side of one model laptop. Like the HP nw8240's and nw8440's I deal with at school, they use the same motherboard, but the 8510 that we issued this last year uses a completely different board.

That used to be true. Now more and more is comming off of the board and becoming all add-on cards.

Back
Top Bottom