What's The Secret?

Big thing is to pick out a motherboard first. That is the biggest factor in what works with what.

From there, you find a processor that is the same socket as the motherboard you have. Sites like newegg will even list processor families that work (such as the core 2 quad and so on). Also on the motherboard spec sheet it will list the kind of memory it will except and what the max is.

Same thing pretty much goes for all the other components, but there is less chance for error once the CPU and RAM have been picked out.

also if u need a video card look at how many power plugs it needs (pci-e 6 pins)

and also how many hard drives/optical drives u need to make sure u have enough SATA power cables and sata connectors and such

I find power plugs to be less of an issue. You can always get splitters/adapters to manage that and video cards usually come with one or two.

Thanks guys, very helpful. There must be more than that. I know you have to get the correct form for the case right (ATX, Micro ...)? How do you know this unless form only applies to the motherboard?

Basically you can't fit a normal ATX board in a micro case. HOWEVER, you can fit a micro board in a standard mid-tower case.
The form really only applies to motherboard, basically sockets are still the same and things like that, only that it is smaller.

Basically a micro=Small Board
ATX=Standard size board (Most common)

If you are tight on space, you can buy a MICRO board and then a Micro case, this would be a little case, rather then the big cases most people have.
A standard mid-tower ATX is basically what most people have, it is the most common.
You use a standard board and put it in to a standard case.
There are also Full-towers, there is no supersized ATX board you would put in, just a standard one.
Basically it's like this.
Micro ATX= Used for micro cases, CAN BE USED FOR MID or even FULL TOWER CASES.
ATX=Mid tower cases, or even full tower.

maybe that comes down to luck larisa, all i know is your braver than me at even attempting a build.
good luck with the buying of the stuff and putting it all together, look forward to reading more updates of progress etc.

Such nice members here. Thanks for all suggestions.

What are the trade offs between a Micro motherboard and an ATX motherboard? Does the ATX have more functions or capabilities? How do motherboards for laptops vary from motherboards for desktops? Do they have their own separate forms?

Such nice members here. Thanks for all suggestions.

What are the trade offs between a Micro motherboard and an ATX motherboard? Does the ATX have more functions or capabilities? How do motherboards for laptops vary from motherboards for desktops? Do they have their own separate forms?

Micro is smaller, which means that there could be less PCI slots, PCI Express etc.

Micro Pros-----------------------------------Micro Cons
Smaller-------------------------------------Can have less slots
Can fit in any case----------------------Can actually be more expensive
Makes more room for hard-drives etc.
Fits in all cases

Standard Pros--------------------------------------Standard Cons
Bigger (Can be easier to work with)----------------------Bigger
More slots-------------------------------------Can take up precious space
Less expensive-------------------------------------Doesn't fit in all cases
I wouldn't say ATX has more functions or anything, it's just that the fact, that since it is bigger it might have more PCI slots and ports like that.
I never owned a laptop or plan on owning one, so I can't help you with that.

Laptop motherboards are a whole different story. From what I understand they are proprietary and are designed for a particular use and laptop brand. They are not interchangeable as far as I know.

Back
Top Bottom