What's next?

Shantei

In Runtime
I recently got a memory upgrade from 1Gb to 3Gb. I was going to get just an extra 1 to have 2Gb, but the price deal from 1Gb to 2Gb was unmissable, so I got it. My processor runs about 4 or 5 degrees hotter now which is a good thing I guess .. although I doubt it's fully utilising 3Gb although I wouldn't be able to tell. However, a memory upgrade from 1Gb was crucial (notice the pun :D) so it kind of leaves me questioning the next upgrade to make. Here's my comp.

Tagan 'Switching Power Supply' 480w PSU.

K9N SLI Platinum - 'nVidia nForce 570 SLI'

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ - 2200MHz (Socket AM2)

3Gb DDR2-SDRAM - Running @ 800MHz (2x512Mb PC6400 + 2x1024Mb PC6400) Dual Channel

ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512Mb (PCI-Express)

ATA (WDC WD1600JD-22HBB0) Hard Disk, 160Gb (This came with a pre-made computer and stuck it with this one)

Disk Drives - Basic ones that came with a premade computer .. :rolleyes:

Hyundai ImageQuest B71A 17" LCD Monitor

Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

I'm not particularly sure one what exactly I should upgrade next for a few reasons. One of them being the fact that the computing industry advances so fast and the other money. Atm I'm v. low on cash. In case you're wondering on what I use my computer for, it's not really an issue. It's more I just wanna have a generally fast computer all-round, although it's mainly for gaming. Vista would be bad thing to get because I hear games are shite with it. I hear it has great features, but it's heavy and not worth it atm. But I don't want anybody to be posting any arguments about how wonderful Vista is because I couldn't give more of a crap.

I think to make even more use of my memory a better processor would be cool and AMD are doing some very nice prices. My m/b supports up to a 5200+ or a 5400+ I think, can't remember which one though. Would I need to go higher than that?

I was kinda thinking of getting a 10k or 15k HD in a few months, simply to put my OS on there :D and in general have a better HD.

My video card is very nice .. however DX10 is coming into the picture now. When do you think it's good to upgrade to DX10? Or should I wait for more and better video cards than the 8800s to come out?

So really I'm asking what and when I should upgrade. Any ideas are much appreciated :D

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just realised .. 100th post!! :D

im just wondering how are you running dual channel with two different types of ram.

to have dual channel memory, you need a mobo that supports it (you do) and ram that supports it (you do) BUT you also need to install only that type of ram and of the same size.
if you removed one pair of either type of memory then you would go back to running dual channel, but right now you're not using dual channel because there are two different types of ram installed.

you have a very solid build here, if you're pocket is itching that much go buy some games, post upgrades on this will be useless (considering all the new tech coming out)

the only thing that you may be able to justify is a raptor hd, or a tb hd. but thats just upgrading for the sake of upgrading.

im just wondering how are you running dual channel with two different types of ram.

to have dual channel memory, you need a mobo that supports it (you do) and ram that supports it (you do) BUT you also need to install only that type of ram and of the same size.
if you removed one pair of either type of memory then you would go back to running dual channel, but right now you're not using dual channel because there are two different types of ram installed.

you have a very solid build here, if you're pocket is itching that much go buy some games, post upgrades on this will be useless (considering all the new tech coming out)

the only thing that you may be able to justify is a raptor hd, or a tb hd. but thats just upgrading for the sake of upgrading.

The types of RAM are exactly the same. The only difference is the size of them .. 4 memory slots. One of the 1Gb stick goes in DIMM1, 1 of the 512Mb sticks goes in DIMM2, the other 1Gb stick goes in DIMM3 and the other 512Mb stick goes in DIMM4. Why wouldn't they be dual channel? It says they are as well on load up.

first thing that looks skimpy on that system is the PSU 480 watts is low but the brand is also sucks cause ive never heard of it lol.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182045
that would fit the bill nicely. not too much of a wattage increase but good name brand and probably more amps.

instead of buying a whole new cpu you can just overclock your current to greater speeds. look in my sig i overclocked my cpu 800mhz over stock. all you really need is a little bit of patience and good cooling. unless you already have one i suggest this cpu cooler for value and performance
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125
i have that cooler and it is GR8 :D

with that thing you could EASILY get your 4200+ up to a 5200+ speeds :D

first thing that looks skimpy on that system is the PSU 480 watts is low but the brand is also sucks cause ive never heard of it lol.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182045
that would fit the bill nicely. not too much of a wattage increase but good name brand and probably more amps.

instead of buying a whole new cpu you can just overclock your current to greater speeds. look in my sig i overclocked my cpu 800mhz over stock. all you really need is a little bit of patience and good cooling. unless you already have one i suggest this cpu cooler for value and performance
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125
i have that cooler and it is GR8 :D

with that thing you could EASILY get your 4200+ up to a 5200+ speeds :D

Yeah I did want to overclock my CPU it's just it wasn't happening. I tried adjusting the multiplier but it kepy resetting itself. I tried manually increasing the frequency but wouldn't go above 10MHz over stock and nothing would appear on screen either if I set it higher than 10MHz .. had to reset everything then :(. I can't push my voltage any higher than it is because it seems as though it already is at full voltage. I have to FSB option to alter about either. My BIOS can't be locked, can it? I mean perhaps for safety reasons, but how would I check?

For cooling my CPU I have Arctic Silver 5, I presume that'd do wouldn't it?

Also my PSU is supposed to be very good :p It runs fine and does it's job with great warranty and great features... However I'll take your word for it.

Good reply there, thanks. Anybody have similar ideas or can explain my CPU problem?

Thanks!

Edit: Also, if my temperatures for my CPU overclocked remained as they are now wouldn't that mean it'd still have the same life expectancy pretty much? And if you overclocked yours 800MHz, wouldn't that mean if I did that I'd get the same speeds as a 6000+? :D

Also I was wondering, the Cache on a processor .. does it affect performance much or is it the 'capacity' or it? I know stuff all on processors :(

You can't increase the multiplier on that CPU, it's locked. You just need to up the FSB. It should be under "CPU Frequency Configuration."

If you get a better heatsink/fan, temperatures will dramatically drop. Before going out and getting a new fan though, see how far you can push it without a new one.

You can't increase the multiplier on that CPU, it's locked. You just need to up the FSB. It should be under "CPU Frequency Configuration."

If you get a better heatsink/fan, temperatures will dramatically drop. Before going out and getting a new fan though, see how far you can push it without a new one.

I've looked for FSB on all options and it isn't there. Could it be anything else is locked? How do I possibly unlock it and couldn't I somehow unlock my CPU?

Rudster816 said he overclocked his by 800MHz. Do you reckon I'd be able to do that with Arctic SIlver 5? :p

AS5 is thermal grease not a cooler. although it can affect temps not as much as a cooler can.

i also doubt you could get it up 800mhz but it is possible. i can get mine higher cause mine was only 1.9ghz to start with and im assuming you have one with a windsor core? if so brisbanes tend to oc higher. im sure you could get it up to 2.8 but dont expect 3.0 in the first couple of hours(it takes some time)

also if you dont have those options in your bios there IS software that can do it for you it is just more complicated.

also if you dont have those options in your bios there IS software that can do it for you it is just more complicated.

Alright then, where would I find such software?

Edit: Perhaps you guys could find out more from this detail on my m/b

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/msi-k9nplatinum/index.x?pg=1

From this I found out my m/b comes with a program which enables me to adjust some shit .. perhaps you could check it out on that website? It shows a piccy of the program.

Back
Top Bottom