Whats the difference? i3, i5, i7

^ I'm not an Intel fanboy at all...closer to AMD, if anything. I try to avoid fanboyism though. All it does is mislead people.

^+1, I don't see the usefulness of it

edit: I think I figured it out, sort of. It's part of the Jasper Forest line, which means its an embedded CPU. Still, why anyone would use that thing is beyond me. Maybe in a kiosk or something? And why on earth did they use the 1366 platform?

Found a spec sheet too:
intel_xeonstable.jpg

I've never even seen DDR3 800....

I dunno man...even an Atom would perform better than that. And the Xeon right above it is just as bad! More clock speed, but no hyperthreading.

They do support ECC memory though...

probably for budget builds in corporate buildings. Low energy, and they're more interested in RAM memory then they are in processor power.
Yes, impractical...but I don't think that's what Intel had in mind. I think they just want to phase out the 775 and 1136 completely to the 1366 socket. Intel has a history of only keeping the socket that their most powerful processor uses. Right now, that's the i7 980x. Last time it was the Socket 423 with the 478. It's just how Intel functions...progressively

Socket 1156 is newer, cheaper, and would be a much better platform for such a CPU, though it is still super overkill for that pos. Seriously, intel atom would own it.

Putting that CPU in a 1366 board would be like modding an 80286 into an AM2 board. Totally pointless, and an epic waste of money.

And intel would make money. So why wouldn't they?

And an Atom would not own that. Same core speed as a few of them and the Celeron is hyperthredded with 3x the pins of an Atom socket...437. DDR3 1066 to DDR2 533. In what world is the Atom going to beat this? Is it a POS...hell ya compared to what else can go on that socket.

It makes sense in our heads to put it on a 1156. But someone at Intel knows better. Either it's more efficient or more powerful on a 1366, or they just make a ton more money. Either way, who cares?

An atom is a dual core with hyperthreading. Sure it is a tiny pos, designed for embedded systems, but it does have quite a bit of power. I think it would beat this.

Back
Top Bottom