Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-30-2016, 01:45 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default What's with the "Cheap"/"Crappy" Keys/Keyboard of Chromebooks??

and other lower-end laptops...

I went to Walmart last night to check out their Chromebooks and other laptops and noticed that the lower-end models (from like Acer) have these keypad areas where the buttons/keys are raised up and when you press on them they feel very "weak." It's hard to describe, but compared to a more expensive laptop, the keys are just different.

In the expensive ones, they keys are not raised up and seem to have more "spring" to them when you press down on them. They don't feel like they're going to break easily.

In these chromebooks and other cheap laptops I've seen at Walmart, the keys feel like their crappy, would break easily, and/or get stuck (or wouldn't rise again) if you pressed down too hard, too often, and/or the wrong way.

Am I right? Are these keypads just cheaper and easy to break? If so, I might want to avoid them. Too much hassle.

Or, might they actually be better or equally good as more expensive laptops and I just don't know it???

Thanks!

jakeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: What's with the "Cheap"/"Crappy" Keys/Keyboard of Chromebooks??

Why not search for "problems with chrome book keyboards breaking" or look up failure rates of the ones you are interested in.
To be fair though, all laptop and notebook keyboards feel junky compared to a quality mechanical keyboard with the switch types you prefer. Even my 2000.00 Asus ROG top of the line laptop. It doesn't mean they are poor quality necessarily though, just different.

Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:41 AM   #3
Daemon Poster

From what I have read, they have the same or better longevity as laptops. The only issues I have read about are the unbranded ones that are sometimes sold. They are usually factory rejects that were bought, unbranded and resold. They should never have been sold in the first place. Buy a branded one and you will have a quality product with a full factory warranty and you can buy extended warranties if you are going to be playing Frisbee with yours.
Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

If it's any consolation I've never had one break on me, although I don't pound on a laptop keyboard as I might on a regular desktop one.

most of the broken ones I've seen were due to misuse or liquid damage.
crazyman143 is offline   Reply With Quote