What's Accessing my Harddrive?!

start up tab

@celegorm, I am trying to kill two birds with one stone. I am trying to tone down his 7* processes. It is possible that it is indexing as well.

Sorry, wasn't yelling at you, just throwing that out there for the disk useage.

To aid in the hunt for what processes to eliminate, google the ones you are not familiar with. If it's not related to a driver, or a security program (firewall, Anti-virus, etc) It's safe to disable. In the services tab, click the check box for hide all Microsoft services. Most of those you want running with your computer, so disabling them would only come to bite you in the butt later.

sorry for taking so long... had a weird blackout in my house.. haha.

msconfigzm8.png

thx for the tip about the performance monitor... but what does the indexing look like.. like what would it say is writing into the hd

It's a system file with a hex code in the little {}. You'll be able to tell what it is immediately since it will have a real high write-rate. It's all located on the resource monitor (button for it on the performance tab in task manager) just click the little down arrow next to "Disk".

OK, I dont' know what those microsoft ones are for, so I'll just ignore them right now. You will want to keep the first Nvidia one checked, the other two you should be able to disable. Hd Audio, synaptics and AVG Keep. Remove bluetooth, ASus Touch, Cognizance. When you find out what the Microsoft ones are for, let us know please. I don't see enough of the file or the program path to make a call on any of them.

Also is the defragmenter on Vista set to automatic?

Didn't think about that either. It was set automatically on mine by default.

Type "defrag" with out the quotes in the search bar and press enter. It will let you know if it's on a schedule, and when it's set to run.

Yeah, I didn't even know about it until I did my first defrag on Vista two weeks ago (after having it for about a month ^_^). I was impressed though. Scheduled defrags is something I always wanted to do in XP, but didn't know how and I was too lazy to do a batch file.

Yeah, I prefer scripts myself. I even wrote one using the 'shutdown' command so I can double-click the batch and it will have a 30 second shutdown delay in case there was something else I had to do, then I could run a batch to abort shutdown.

Back
Top Bottom