What would you guys do?

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
this might seem like a long post, but the first part is just the background, and if you are not interested, then just go straight to the *Options*

*Back Ground Story*
so the price of the 8800GT is pretty cheap, and i am swapping my CF board with a friend to get an SLI board.
But i want to upgrade my CPU, i was thinking of getting the X2 5400+ BE, and get an XIGMATEK HDT-S1283, and maybe OC it to about 3.0Ghz.
But i really want SLI, and i will probably get an 8800GT and the Xigmatek heatsink and OC my CPU to 2.8ghz (thats where i got to stable without upping the voltage).
the stock clock for the 5400+ is 2.8ghz, and the stock clock for my 4800+ is 2.5ghz.
I noticed that i am not really running my 8800GT to its full potential due to my CPU, but thats also because i dont OC when i play games.
I would probably get a CPU now if i know for sure that i can still pick up an 8800GT for about $100-$150 when its around christmas. If not, then i will get the 8800GT now, and get a Phenom in December.

*Options*
So what would you guys do?
1. Go with another 8800GT and Aftermarket HSF for CPU to OC to 2.8ghz, and get an Phenom around Decemeber?
2. Go with the 5400+ with the Aftermarket HSF and OC to 3.0ghz, and "maybe" get the 8800GT around december if still possible.
3. "Open to any Suggestions"

I see option 1 the best because i would have SLI, and wouldnt have 2 extra processors lying around when i get a Phenom.

*PS*
Please dont say get a different graphics card like the 4850/4870, because if i do, then i would have only one card, and have an 8800GT lying around and the 8800GT is cheaper, and i think the 8800GT SLI will outperform the 4850, not sure about the 4870, and i would have paid less than getting the 4850 now.
How?
8800GT (mine) Free + 8800GT $120 = $120
4850 = $180
Difference = $60

Thanks in Advance.

EDIT - Oh yeah, forgot that i got a budget of $200, i would like to spend as low as possible if you guys are suggesting me to do something besides options 1 and 2.

Personally, I'd just get the second card and the HSF, then overclock your current CPU to 2.8GHz. My 5600+ with a 9600GT was a pretty solid rig, so I can't see why that wouldn't be. It'd easily last you up until December and possibly beyond. :)

yeahthat.gif

The 8800GT SLI setup will easily outperform both the HD 4850 and 4870.

okay, then i am going with Option #1.
my mom is most likely going to china in December, and she agreed that she would buy me a processor when she is there. I think they can get it cheaper if they talk bargain a lot.

yeahthat.gif

The 8800GT SLI setup will easily outperform both the HD 4850 and 4870.

while this is true, SLI set ups are known to sometimes have issues on some SLI boards, the 600 series nVidia chipsets come to mind IIRC, a single card solution is always the easier way to go, but if he's hell bent on going SLI and wants to put in the time and research to get it up and running, then yeah, the 8800GT SLI combo is very potent...

is the 700 series chipset the same way?
i know that sli and crossfire both have their bugs, and not yet near perfection.
Though, it is better than to buy another card that cost more.
if i get problems in SLI in a game, then i will just go with one card.
But quick question, for SLI, can i use one mainly for my basic card, and use the other mainly for like AA and physx?
Getting another 8800GT will let me know if my eVGA is failing on me. (i posted a topic asking about small particles on certain games)

But quick question, for SLI, can i use one mainly for my basic card, and use the other mainly for like AA and physx?
Nope. Both cards are utilized while in SLI mode, with the output going through only the card in the PCIe1 slot. AA and PhysX should run smoothly in SLI.

ah, i see.
another question.
i noticed now that there are mobo where they allow the cards to run at x16 instead of x8 at SLI.
but how much of a performance increase is there?
from what i heard, there would only be about a 10% increase at max, but mostly about 3%-5%.

so i was reading some reviews on some SLI board, and it seems that some never came with an SLI Bridge, so i was wondering wheres a place to get an SLI Bridge if i never came

Back
Top Bottom